The Brothers Hook, Part 4/4

Start from the beginning

     Hook Foot steps forward. "I'm really gonna miss you, big brother," he says genuinely.

     "Well, I ain't gonna miss you," Hook Hand says, folding his arms.

     Uh-oh, Varian thinks. I thought we were past this...

     Hook Foot appears hurt, until Hand continues: "I mean, how am I gonna miss you if you're on the road with me?" He unfurls a new banner on the side of his caravan. It has his and Foot's faces on it and reads, "The Brothers Hook Song and Dance Extravaganza."

     "Really? You mean it?" Hook Foot gasps excitedly. But his smile fades as a thought occurs to him. "But... my friends. I'd have to leave them."

     Rapunzel steps toward him. "Hook Foot, we love having you with us. But this is your chance to follow your own destiny! Go, live your dream."

     "Thank you," Hook Foot says, giving the princess a hug. "I don't think I've ever been more happy." Hook Hand joins the hug, and even Eugene tries to. But Hand growls at him, and he backs away quickly.

     "Okay... I thought the moment brought us over this emotional hump. My bad. Misread," Eugene says.

     "You should've known better," Varian chuckles.

     The Hook brothers load up into the fancy caravan, and ride off together as the gang waves goodbye. "I'm gonna miss that guy," Lance says, wiping a tear from his eye.

     "Me too... maybe," Cassandra says.

     "Yeah," Rapunzel says. "Underneath their rough exteriors, the Hook brothers are really sweet and thoughtful guys."

     "Kind of," Varian says. "I mean, they did just leave us here in the middle of nowhere without transportation..."

     Everyone but Rapunzel groans once they realize this fact

     "No groaning, people!" The princess says. "We've got a destiny to discover. Now, move out!" She begins to follow the trail of black rocks, as the others trudge along behind her.

     Varian lags at the back of the group, Ruddiger on his shoulders. Rapunzel notices, and hangs back to join him. "Hey, you did great last night!" She tells him. "I didn't know you could play piano."

     "Yeah, I kinda taught myself," he explains. "But it's no big deal."

     "I think it's amazing," Rapunzel says. "You have so many talents, Varian! I'm happy to have you along on this journey."

     "Thanks, Princess," he says with a smile.

     After a brief pause Rapunzel says, "With all this talk of dreams, I realized something. I've never actually asked you what your dream is."

     "Probably something like world domination," Lance jokes, joining the conversation.

     "Or marrying CassAndra," Eugene adds with a chuckle, receiving a glare from Cass and causing Varian to blush furiously.

     Rapunzel hushes them as Varian clears his throat. "Actually, right now... my dream is just to get my dad out of the amber."

     Placing a comforting hand on his shoulder, Rapunzel nods. "That much I do know," she says. "But what about before that? I mean, you had to have some kind of other dream, right? Everyone's got a dream."

     Varian thinks about this and smiles, as the others await his response. "Actually... yeah. I've always dreamed of becoming the next Demanitus. He's been my inspiration since I was little. He invented the most incredible things and accomplished so many amazing feats! Everyone knows about him and the good that he did. H-He's a legend!" His expression falls as he adds, "But I could never measure up to someone like him..."

     "Don't sell yourself short," Rapunzel says. "You've done some pretty amazing things too! Just look at all the things you've invented. And you're only fifteen! That's really something to be proud of."

     "But, look at all the terrible things I've done..." Varian says, closing his eyes as his brow furrows. "Demanitus never attempted to destroy Corona. He protected everyone who lived there!"

     "Look at me," Rapunzel says, and she waits until he does so. "You are not your mistakes. Just because you've made some questionable choices in the past, it doesn't mean you can't strive for better things in the future. Plus est en vous."

     Rapunzel doesn't have to translate, because Varian understands immediately. There is more in you. He likes the sound of that. He glances around at his friends, and to his surprise they all nod in agreement.

     "Keep your dreams alive kid," Eugene tells him. "You never know when you may achieve them. Especially with a princess like Rapunzel around." He winks at her.

     "That is true," Varian says with a chuckle.

     As they walk, they continue to discuss their dreams and goals in life. Rapunzel talks about discovering her destiny at the end of this road, but Varian notices that Cassandra doesn't seem to have a lot to say on the subject. He does know one thing for sure, though... this journey is going to test each one of their dreams and destinies. He can't explain how or why, he just has a feeling. And he is not sure if they are quite ready for what lies at the end.