Ch. 18 - Grateful

"Let's play it back," Yoongi hears the producer tell him before playing back his recording of the new song he was working on.

He takes a few steps back and collapses on the sofa behind him, hearing his own voice playing through the headphones as he listened carefully to himself.

If you thought Yoongi was such a perfectionist when it came to performances, you should see him when he's recording.

It'a always such a sight to see Yoongi behind the scenes. Whether it be in the studio, or backstage. The raw passion just oozes off him.

Today was different though. He's been in the studio for hours, his throat feeling the effects of singing all day. He felt like he was on the edge of losing his voice.

"Can I..." Yoongi sighs out. "Can I try again?"

"Well, what's wrong with it?" asked Yubin.

Yoongi only shakes his head. "It doesn't sound right, I'm not satsified with it."

"Suga, to be honest with you, I think it sounded perfectly fine earlier," Yubin tells him. "But if you really think it's not good enough, we can try again."

"Yeah, let's try again," Yoongi coughs out.

Yubin turns around from her desktop to face Yoongi. He looked exhausted, stressed, frustrated. All those words in one.

"How about we take a break," she suggested with a worried tone. "You're overusing your voice."

"I can keep going," Yoongi argues.

"No, you'll only feel worse if you keep going," Yubin says. "And you can't record with your voice like this."

Yoongi stays quiet after that. He knows he can't record when his throat felt tight and his voice was tired. He can't keep going like this.

"Okay," Yoongi gives in. "I'll take a break."

Leaving Yubin's studio, he walked down the hall to his where he could be alone. God, he felt so hopeless right now. What kind of idol was he? Only a few hours of recording tired out his voice. Was something wrong with his vocal cords? Was something wrong with him?

It only takes one mistake to make him question every single thing, and blame himself for not being good enough. One mistake to bring himself down, and stress himself out. That's why he tries so hard to avoid making such mistakes, even if it costed his sanity. He hates the feeling of not being good enough.

He sat down on his chair in silence, his state losing focus on the shelf full of figures (which he is very proud of collecting btw). Sighing out loud, he slid his hand towards his pocket and took out his iPhone 12 Pro.

He opened up the messaging app, clicking on Namjoon's name.

Right now, he needed to take a break. And what better place to rest at than their restaurant?

Yoongi
You free for some lunch?

It only takes a few minutes for Namjoon to reply.

Namjoon
Can't. Currently preparing for a meeting. You know how it is.

Of course Mr. Kim Namjoon is busy with Kim Namjoon things, Yoongi groans to himself. I guess I can go myself.