𝐓𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐀 𝐁𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤

Start from the beginning

"I know, it's just..." He paused for a few seconds.

"Just what?" They questioned in a soft tone.

Ranboo felt the silence ring in his tone. He wanted to form his words into proper sentences, but he wasn't quite sure if it was the right thing to do. He thought about what he was going to say, but decided against his own voice after the quietness ate the two of them up.

"...Never mind," he croaked. "I just need to get this done."

"Ranboo, no." They huffed, leaning forward and going to snatch the pen from his hand. "It's late."

"I've got work to do, (Y/n), give it back!" He finally turned himself around in his chair to show his face towards them. They were caught with the view of his face with multiple bags under his eyes and a light-red coating across his eyes. They felt their heart drop at the sight of him.

"Ranboo, you look awful!" They tried to cover their gasp. "How many hours of sleep have you gotten?"

"That doesn't matter, just give me my pen back!" He held his hand out strictly.

"No, you need to sleep." They tugged their hand away, grasping onto the pen in a tight motion and tucking it between their fingers.

"I need to finish, I don't have time for this." He turns himself back around and frantically pulled out one of his drawers to grab another pen, pushing it back so he could continue. (Y/n) grasped the pen they were holding in their hand out of frustration, feeling like they had evolved the power to snap it, but they stopped and just inhaled sharply.

"Please, Ranboo." Take a break..." They huffed softly. "You're always writing like you're on a deadline."

"I am."

"You're not." They clarified. "You only think you are because you're being pressured into believing so."

Ranboo didn't answer. He played it off as him not hearing what they had said and continued to write, when in actuality, he was really trying to wrap his head around what they had hummed. He was putting thought into their words and just couldn't think of a justifiable answer. At least, not an answer that they would like.

When he didn't respond, they looked down at the ground, their heart feeling heavy.

"Does this mean you're not going to Anarchtic with me and Niki tomorrow?" They grumbled under their breath, their voice saddened.

"Wait, what?" He stopped and turned his head slightly to face (Y/n).

"To visit Techno?" They tilted their head with knit brows. "You know, the visit we've been planing to have for the past month."

"Oh... Shoot." He balled his hand up and winced, turning his head further down into his lap so that he was no longer looking at the paper. "I have a... thing I need to do tomorrow."

"Seriously..?" They scoffed, forcing on a smile when her eyes were clearly dashed with disappointment. "Ranboo, we've been writing back and forth to Technoblade for ages now. We've been planning this trip- And now you're just gonna blow us off?"

"This thing was super last minute-"

"Tubbo isn't even going to be in L'manburg tomorrow! He's going to be in the Badlands, visiting Sam!" They snapped. "Seriously, who are you trying to impress?"

"Nobody! I'm just doing my job, you of all people should know that!"

"Why me of all people?" They took a step back, the offence slightly hitting their body.

"Well, I mean- You always helped Wilbur out, didn't you? I'm just doing the same for Tubbo."

"Wilbur gave me breaks." They said between their gritted teeth, their irritation only growing even more during the moment. "He gave me holidays and days off. Even if Tubbo hasn't given you those grace periods, you should have taken them yourself, because we're your friends."

"I'm sorry, but the work I have is more important than you!" He yelled out.

He should be glad that he was turned away from (Y/n) in that moment because he had just said something that he truly regretted. (Y/n) stared at the back of his head through a hurt vision, feeling their fists curl up even tighter than they were before as all of the pent-up anger inside of them fuelled their emotions. They weren't even that upset, they were just irritated.

The silence between them filled up as Ranboo awkwardly glanced towards his feet. (Y/n) looked at him with a clenched jaw.

"Fine..." They unfolded the pen from their palm and flicked it back in his direction for him to catch before swaying away and facing the door, making one final note. "I'm going to the Anarchtic with Niki tomorrow. We won't wait up."

They made their way towards the exit and carefully shut the door behind them. Ranboo's eyes flickered slowly before turning back to his desk, completing his work, trying desperately not to think about what he had said.