FIFTEEN: unsaid emily

Start from the beginning

Emilia sighed. "I guess so, but I can't stop thinking about what I saw at his parents' house a while ago. The whole thing with my parents made me think about his birthday. Seeing him hurt like that, it just . . . I really want to help him, but I don't know how."

"Song writing?" Flynn suggested. "Considering what happened last time you sang together by yourselves, your presence could make him feel better."

"Songs . . ." Julie muttered to herself. Her eyes then widened in realization. "Unsaid Emily."

"Unsaid Emily?" Flynn questioned in confusion.

"It's a song Luke wrote about his mom," Emilia answered. "What about it, Jules?"

"Luke wanted a second chance with his parents," Julie continued. "Maybe if you give the song to them, it'll show them that Luke really did care about them after all. I'll get the song out of Luke's journal. We'll go to my house after school and head there."

"I'm not sure if that's the best idea," Emilia replied with hesitation. "I really don't want to take his personal possessions. I mean, everything literally shifted between us yesterday. This plan could either make us or break us. And I'm not too fond of the break us option."

"If he gets mad at you I'll divert the anger onto me. I'll even come with." Julie shook Emilia's shoulder a bit. "Come on, Em. I think this could really help him."

Emilia let out a deep breath. "Okay, okay, fine. Thank you, Julie."

There was a lot of work that had to be done. Somehow, Julie had to take the song out of Luke's journal, and Emilia had to drive to his parents' house and talk to them, all underneath his nose. She still felt extremely guilty for trying to go behind his back like this, but Emilia could only hope that this would sort of fix everything. All she wanted was for Luke to feel some sort of happiness again.

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙 ♔ 𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

EMILIA AND JULIE stood in front of Luke's parents' house. Nerves flowed through her veins. She didn't know how this visit was going to turn out. Emilia only hoped that Luke's mother and father would finally see how much his dream really played out.

"Are you ready?" Julie asked.

Emilia shook her head. "Not even in the slightest. You?"

"About the same." Julie gestured to the doorbell. "I think you should ring it."

She took a deep breath. Just as she went to ring the doorbell, the boy she hadn't seen since last night appeared next to her. Emilia froze and looked over at him with wide eyes. She quickly ducked her head down in effort to not be seen (newsflash: it didn't work.)

"Luke," Julie breathed out.

He looked over to her. "What are you doing here?" Luke then focused his attention on the girl who was trying to hide. "Lia?"

Emilia gave him an awkward smile. "Hey . . ." she trailed off, extending the word as she slowly turned to him. "Uh, funny seeing you here. Seriously, what are the odds—"