Chapter 4: Black Cats Are Wonderful At Consoling Superheroes

💜🐻💜

💖Thank you for reading my story! If you have any questions about my fanfic you want answered, drop them in the comments below! 💖

A/N: it gets a little dark in this one, I'm just letting you know.

"Don't have an attitude."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Mom keeps her stern stance. "I had to keep it a secret."

"Why?" I ask in impatience. "Didn't you trust me? Didn't you think I should've known what you've been carrying around this whole time?" 

"Kai, stop it. You're not listening. This job is worse than it looks. You're still just a kid. Do you understand the burden it would put on your shoulders?"

"You didn't think I could do it, didn't you? Mom, I already doubted myself in the beginning. Now I have your doubts to worry about too?"

"Kai, enough."

"What was the reason?"

"Kai, shut-"

"Tell me!" I shriek. 

Her voice starts to shake, and I can't tell if it's from anger or fear. "It's not the reason you're assuming it is. Believe me, your dad wanted to tell you about it so many times when you were younger-"

"Hold on, Dad knew about this?" I retort in disbelief, my temper rising. 

"Oh my god, yes! He knew about it! You happy now?" Mom threw her hands up in frustration. 

"No, I'm not happy! Why did he know and not me?"

"He only knew about this because he's the reason why I got this thing in the first place!"

"Why on earth was he the reason!?" I explode. 

"He was the reason because I drowned in Burney Falls to save him!" she screams. 

What? 

"What are you talking about?" I meekly ask. 

Taking a shaky exhale, she blurts out, "Your dad and I went to Burney Falls for a date back in 1989. He fell into the waters and almost drowned because he couldn't swim. I jumped in to pull him out, but I drowned and your dad had to resuscitate me."

When I don't say anything, Mom sighs in annoyance.  "Do you not understand? Is this getting through that brain of yours?! I died to save him. I didn't want you to go through that kind of danger if you took this responsibility!" she violently shouts. 

"Do you think I wanted to lose the only child we ever got the chance to raise?!"

My anger blows out like a candle. She...she never told me. 

A realization slaps me in the face. She wasn't lying to me. She just wanted to protect the only baby that-

Mom closes her eyes and inhales a shaky breath. She sits stiffly on my bedspread, her right hand fiddling with her wedding ring. "I didn't want to lose you too. After your dad...I couldn't-" she regains her composure, "I couldn't lose the only family I had left. Not again." 

I sit beside her. "No Mom, I'm sorry. I was a really huge jerk. I shouldn't have yelled at you. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions so quickly." 

"You got that right. It's disrespectful and rude."