Chapter 16 - It's just a little difficult to be proud of someone you barely know

Começar do início

"Hello darling", Narcissa said as she spotted Draco in the kitchen. Our eyes met and he frowned.

"I took Eleanor on our yearly shopping spree", his mother explained. "I'm going to make some tea. Would you like a cup?"

"No thank you", Draco mumbled, getting up to leave.

"That was a rhetorical question, Draco. Come on, we bought a new tea just for you."

Draco sighed and walked back, filling up a kettle, clearly not in the mood. It surprised me that he didn't just call for the house-elf.

"Eleanor picked it out for you", Narcissa said as she handed him the tea. I groaned internally. I didn't want him to think I did that to please him. It just seemed like something he'd enjoy and his mother asked me about it.

Draco looked at me suspiciously and then analysed the name of the tea. I just avoided his gaze and helped Narcissa with the cups.

"So, Eleanor, how has your term been?" Narcissa asked as she sat down, filling my cup with boiling water. Draco kept to himself in the corner of the kitchen, slowly stirring his tea, a frown on his face.

"Quite good, I'd say. Not that special." I tried not to blush when remembering the incident a couple days ago. I hadn't spoken much to Adrian after the kiss, I'd said goodnight and then quickly wished him a happy Christmas when boarding the Hogwarts Express.

"Has my son caused you any trouble? I know he hides things from me", he said, causing Draco to huff. Well, he had insulted the death of my grandfather, had used his prefect privileges to bully children and had burned my arm to a crisp. Oh, and he called me a disgrace and worthless ... I guess that was still better than the past four years.

"He's quite alright", I smiled, knowing that would please her. Draco hadn't been terrible this past month. Sure he was annoying beyond limits and still needed to sort out his priorities, but ever since our talk after we found the Hufflepuff girl, he'd left me alone, which was nice.

I felt Draco's stare on me as he tried to figure me out. Why was I being nice?

"I've got some work to do. But the tea is good", Draco mumbled and then left the kitchen.

"I knew you two would get along better once you'd grow up. I know he's been difficult the past couple of years, but you'll see that he really is a good boy at heart", Narcissa said. "He's just under a lot of pressure."

I nodded, not agreeing but not wanting to discuss how unlikeable her son was. Sure he was under pressure, but so was almost every other pureblood kid. There were expectations to meet and shoes to fill, not for Draco alone. And even so, being under pressure doesn't give him the right to act like an arsehole.

"And he's a boy. Those always need a few extra years to come to their senses", Narcissa winked. That I did agree with.

"So, looking forward to the Ministry's ball tomorrow? I heard your friend is not coming."

My mood dropped at the mere thought. Daphne had sent me a letter a couple days ago telling me that she wouldn't attend the Christmas ball this year as her parents had decided to take her on a winter holiday in Switzerland. That meant that I'd have to hang around my parents all night. Delightful.

We talked for the rest of the afternoon about nothing and everything at the same time. It was nice to not worry about school and presence for a while.

I got home hours later, right before supper. It was my last night of solitude before the holidays would officially begin. Ministry's ball tomorrow, then brunch with the Malfoys, then Christmas dinner with the entire Selwyn family, followed by days of visiting distant cousins and people I only saw once a year. If that was over with, New Year's eve rolled around and it'd begin all over again.

"Eleanor, darling, a package came in for you", my mother said, handing me a tightly wrapped box, a letter attached to it.

"I'm going to freshen up before supper", I said and made my way to my room. I had opened the envelope already when I sat down on my bed, quickly reading the words.

Dear Eleanor

Happy Christmas. I hope this finds you in time so I'm not too late. If I am, let me be the first to wish you a happy 1996.

I've picked out a little gift for you. I promise I picked it out myself even though my mother kept trying to influence me. I hope you like it. I imagine it looking great on you, but doesn't everything?

I wish I could give you this in person, but then you wouldn't be able to wear it during all the holiday parties, so I figured I'd send it by owl.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas break. I'll be looking forward to seeing you again at Hogwarts.

Love,

Adrian.

I smiled brightly as I folded up the note again, then unwrapping the gift carefully. Inside was a flat, black box, the name of the high-end jeweler in Diagon Alley was embossed in gold on the front. I lifted off the lid to be greeted by a stunning necklace. It was dainty and gold, with small gemstones every couple inches. In the very middle was a larger, dark green stone, the colour of Slytherin.

I gently took the necklace out and admired it. It was absolutely stunning and would fit perfectly with my newly bought dress. Adrian sure had impeccable taste.

But what did this mean for us? I really had to start thinking about this. Getting too attached would only lead to heartbreak at the end of the year, but I feared that I had already crossed that line.

What in the world was I going to do?