Chapter 5 - You can disrupt my solitude at any given time

I was told I was dangerous, so I asked why. They said: Because you don't need anyone. 

That's when I smiled.

- Hifza Shameem

It had been two whole weeks since the hallway incident and it had been pleasant to say the least. I was mastering the art of ignoring Malfoy and my life was so much better without him. I patrolled on my own or occasionally with the Hufflepuffs. I think they're a bit scared of me, but that's proper entertainment.

Potions is the same as before, shoving the cauldron back and forth, both doing parts of the recipe. It works out well enough. Same goes for Astrology. We take turns looking through the telescope without saying anything. He doesn't mind. He doesn't say anything to me either and it's better that way.

I should have done this fifteen years ago.

One thing I like a little less, or well, a lot less: Daphne's been hanging out with him a lot. Sure, she's happy and that makes me happy, but I see her less. If she's with Malfoy, I avoid him, so I avoid her. She's my best friend and I don't like where this is headed, but why in the name of Merlin did she have to catch feelings for that prick? There was absolutely nothing attractive about that boy. And why was he suddenly interested in her? He's known her just as long as I have.

I was not going to make amends for Daphne's sake, absolutely not. There was too much pride involved. He had been an arse, not me.

"Wait one second", Daphne said and pulled my hand. We were just about to leave the common room to have a Saturday study session.

"Oh I don't think so", I said as I saw Malfoy walking into the common room, his bag in his hands. "You told me it would just be the two of us."

"And you told me that you didn't have any plans", Malfoy sneered.

"Oh come on, I wanted to hang out with both of you. We're all fifth year Slyterhins, can't we just hang out together?" Daphne complained.

"No we can not. That's a nasty move, Greengrass."

I grabbed my bag and made my way over to the library, alone. Who did she think she was, trying to set me up like that? If he was going to be her new little boyfriend, fine, but I would not be involved.

I bit the inside of my cheek to remain calm and tried to look as composed as possible. These were personal issues and not of anyone's business.

I sat down in a corner of the library at a completely empty table. It was quiet for a Saturday. I supposed most students wanted to enjoy the last bit of the warm weather before October would come around.

I grabbed my Ancient Runes book and started on the essay that was due next week.

I could feel her eyes on me as she sat down at the table on the other side of the pathway. I could feel her gaze as she put her bag down, as she took a seat and as she grabbed her books. I forced myself to stay put, but I wish I hadn't.

It took ten minutes before she aggressively pushed her chair back and made her way over to me.

"Why are you being so difficult about this? It's just a study session", Daphne said, clearly distraught and unhappy with the tension. We didn't fight often as we were very similar people, but when we did, she always tried apologizing within half an hour. It worked well for me as my stubborn arse would take the argument into the grave if I'd have to apologize first.

"Well firstly, Daphne, I do not appreciate you going behind my back like that. You should've known that."

"Well you would have never agreed if I hadn't!"