Chapter 21 - Pain like the grandest diamonds around her neck

She's changed. You can see it in her eyes, feel it in her touch, hear it in her tone. She's not the same and she's never coming back.

- K. Azizian

The following morning was unpleasant to say the least. Although I had made sure that barely anyone knew about how close I had gotten with Adrian, the story about the bet had spread around Slytherin house. Everyone was looking at me, wondering if Adrian had won the bet or not.

And they were all waiting to see how I would react. They all wanted to see Eleanor Selwyn break, but they'd be disappointed. I would not break and their stares couldn't touch me.

I didn't want people to look at me, to associate me with Pucey or to have compassion.

I wanted them to be scared of me, so that no one would ever dare to hurt me again.

For the first time in my life I understood Draco Malfoy. I understood why he acted like he did and why he liked people being scared of him. Because if they're scared, they won't hurt you. Draco never got hurt and he might be an arsehole, but he was still better off than me.

He was ice, and right now it seemed like being ice was a lot better than being fire.

DRACO'S POV

I couldn't help but stare too as she walked into the common room. I don't know what I expected, but I didn't expect this.

She looked powerful, like the situation hadn't fazed her one bit. She seemed ... untouchable.

It was one of the very few things I admired about her. She never let her head down. Whatever was thrown her way, insults, setbacks or fear, she kept her head high and always maintained that air of elegance. It's that what made her untouchable. You can't touch a woman who wears pain like the grandest diamonds around her neck.

I stretched out my sore knuckles and grabbed my bag for class. We had Arithmancy in a bit, followed by History of Magic and Divination, terrific.

Daphne walked by, a sad look on her face.

"How is Eleanor doing?" I asked, walking to breakfast with her.

"I don't know", she sighed. "She says she's fine, but I know she's not. She's so ... cold."

"Yeah, I would too if someone pulled a stunt like that", I shrugged. I didn't necessarily like Eleanor, but what Pucey had done to her was not okay.

Everyone knew that Eleanor didn't get romantically involved with anyone. Even though I'd never admit it, she was desired. Many Slytherins would like to shoot their shot, but she seemed so unattainable.

Pucey was the first bloke she'd ever let in. That was one of the consequences of our families being so close. I knew so much about her without personally getting to know her.

She had let someone in for the first time and it ended up with finding out it was for a stupid bet. It made me furious for some reason. I wasn't the nicest person, but I would never put a bet on something like that.

I assumed Pucey had won the bet as I had seen the two of them kiss. That had been after Christmas break, though, but it also didn't look like a first kiss. What if he hadn't won?

Did that mean that I had been her first kiss?

I really hoped I wasn't, because that kiss was terrible as a first kiss. It was unexpected, unwanted and I hadn't even asked her permission. But then again, was Pucey as a first kiss much better? And why was I overthinking this?