28

The next morning I was rudely awaken to some idiot kicking my leg. I frowned and opened my eyes to come face to face with Leah. Instantly, I screamed before I placed my hand over my heart dramatically. "Jesus, Leah! People shouldn't be exposed to that first thing in the morning".

She narrowed her eyes at me and growled lowly in warning. 

I rolled my eyes. I knew our peace wouldn't last long. Leah sat next me to me in silence and I rose an eyebrow at her. Yet she refused to say anything. I sighed, her eye ticked. I threw a pebble and she scoffed. I drew a picture of a sun in the dirt and she crinkled up her nose. I sighed ten times more loudly and she pinched the birch of her nose before rudely stepping up and joining Jacob and Seth by the river. 

I scoffed. "What a freak".

"Whose a freak?".

I looked up to find Quil leaning against the tree beside mine. I shrugged. "Leah, I guess".

Quil nodded as he watched my sister glare at both Seth and Jacob. "Yeah, I get that".

I frowned. "I didn't mean like she's weird. More she's...". I faltered while twirling my hand trying to come up with the right words to describe her. "Like, she's nice but not". 

Quil frowned. "Okay". He pronounced every syllable of the word before he shrugged uncaring. "But it's Leah and you love her. I know you do because I can feel it".

I scoffed up at him. "I know that. It's just, she's so hard to talk to".

Quil sat beside me in the dirt and bumped my shoulder. "But why talk to Leah when you've got little old me?".

I rolled my eyes in amusement. "There's no point talking to you about anything. I already know everything about you because I can feel it. If I ever asked you about yourself it would be to appear more polite then I actually am".

Quil tusked. "Damn, you wound me cous".

I just smirked at him. However I instantly dropped it at the sight by the river. OM-Fucking-G!. Vamp. We've got a code red. I repeat, a dead one is walking among us and offering us sandwiches?!?

Instantly my stomach rumbled in appreciation. Oh lord I need one of those. But...Vampire. I turned to Quil who didn't looked at ease before he frowned and turned to me. "Why do you feel so anxious, is it Esme?. She's fine, you might want to knock it off before Jake catches wind of it".

I frowned. "I'm not anxious. I'm indecisive".

Quil rose an eyebrow at me. "Well I'm feeling fearful and I know it's not me".

I bit my lip. "I've never seen one before".

Quil waved me off. "Oh well, this ones fine. Besides like Jake would even let one get close enough to touch you".

I frowned my eyes watching the skin sparkler's every move. "Isn't that your job?."

He shrugged casually. "Nope. It's to make sure you keep breathing".

I smirked. "Sounds like the same thing to me".

Quil grumbled and I watched the vamp hand off a sandwich to my eager little brother. She then turned to Leah with a kind smile. I watched as Leah scoffed in her face and phased. Is that just her go to move these days?. Jake then surprised me by accepting them graciously. I guess accepting his alpha title really has changed him. I frowned. Jacob doesn't seem like the type to be okay with our ancestors changing us, it's one of the few things we have in common.

This 'Esme' then walked up to the two of us. Quil stood and I begrudgingly joined him as the Vamp appeared infront of us. Weird yellow eyes, kind smile and a stupidly perfect face. Her eyes flickered from the two of us. "Hello Quil, and you must April. I just wanted to say how grateful I am that you've decided to protect and fight for my family. I know it's not much but you're probably both starving".

She handed Quil a sandwich before holding one out to me expectantly. I felt my eye observing it in hesitation. I'm starving but if Leah didn't except hers...

I chewed in my lip. "What's in it?".

She smiled. "Peanut butter".

Oh fuck...I can't resist that. It just had to be PB....I accepted it suddenly hyped on the thought of peanut goodness. "Thanks".

She nodded and I sighed before hitting Quil's arm. He glared at me but nodded to Esme in gratitude. Well, close enough.

A/N

I've also started another Jacob fanfic if you like my writing and wanted something else to read then feel free to take a look!

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/270103966-undone-jacob-black-x-oc