36. INSULT TO INJURY

Start from the beginning

Standing there listening to all this made my heart ache for some reason. I know whatever he said was not personal, but my mind didn't want to process that logically, I was being emotional and I knew this wasn't the right time but I just couldn't control myself.

I tried to keep my head on straight. He was suspecting me, and he had every right to. But for some reason, I just couldn't understand the hostility he suddenly had towards me. In my mind, I kinda thought it would always be me and him vs the world. I never thought it would be him vs me and that I'd have to prove myself.

I couldn't help but think this was going to put a strain on our relationship, but a part of me was confident we could get over it. We were both strong, level headed, independent people.

"Just give me a reason to trust you, that's all I ask." He said, for once without any anger as he looked me straight in the eye.

I decided to tell him the truth. The surprise wasn't exactly important anymore, it was more important to convince him and to put our minds at ease.

I told him about Morgan and how it was our plan to talk to Carson and finalize a deal. I didn't tell him about how I threatened him, that would only worry him and I didn't want to add to his problems.

"This Morgan, will she confirm your story?" He asked.

I frowned at him. Why was he being like this? I couldn't understand where my sweet Jensen went, the one standing in front of me right now seemed nothing like him.

"It's not a 'story' Jensen. I told you the truth and yes Morgan will confirm my words." I couldn't understand that he didn't believe me. He would believe a complete stranger but not me.

After everything, is this what it all amounts to?

"Call her right now, and put her on speakerphone, I'd like to confirm." He said flatly.

He was twisting a knife in my heart with every hurtful word and I was barely holding on. My hands shook as I grabbed my phone and made the call.

I stared down at my phone as it rang a few times before going to voicemail. I looked up at Jensen only to find his blank emotionless face. "Keep trying."

I tried to call Morgan multiple times but she didn't pick up when another call went to voicemail I was fed up. "She's not answering the phone right now, she must be busy, I'm sure she'll call back soon."

Jensen nodded almost robotically as he stood next to me, "Of course. Right, when she's needed she's miraculously unavailable."

I frowned at him. This cold act of his was hurtful. I didn't know how much more of this I could take.

"Quite skilled at lying aren't you? You really are one hell of an actress. I guess it must be fun to see how much of an idiot you thought I was." He said.

"You really think that's what this is?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Jensen was being a total jerk and I wasn't going to hold back.

Jensen scoffed, "Are you still trying to deny it? I've seen this pattern before, I've been stabbed in the back plenty of times Alex, I can identify what this is."

"Really? And here I thought you knew me..." My voice turned small a weak towards the end giving away how vulnerable this was making me feel.

"I thought so too, can't believe how blinded I was. Your innocent act is really effective, shame I couldn't see how it all ends." He said harshly as he walked away from me and stopped behind his desk.

Is he freaking kidding me right now? It was like he had made up his mind and there was nothing I could say to sway him, still, I tried.

"I pity you, Jensen. I really do. You are so convinced that you've been betrayed, you wouldn't see the truth even if it punched you in the face." I gathered my courage as I spoke. "I'm tired of defending myself when I've done nothing wrong, but I am telling you nothing but the truth" My voice was rising and I had no control over it.