1. CONTEMPLATING CHOICES

Start from the beginning

Except I feel absolutely shattered.

Groaning internally, I planted my face in my hands and just thought hard about my stupid decision.

"How can she just resign, doesn't it require the two weeks notice?" Josh asked.

"In the letter, she said she's quitting and if I have a problem with her lack of prior notice, I can sue her." As if I would even consider that.

"Damn." Josh cursed.

I wanted to take back each and every word I had said, but it was too late now...

Her voice played in my mind like a broken record, almost like little snippets and flashes.... driving me crazy and making me angry at no one but myself.

"Have you tried reaching out to her?" Josh asked.

I'm pretty sure he thinks that silence apparently means he should be talking.

I decided to tell him. "She's not picking up my calls, I'm sure she blocked me a few days ago. I've texted and emailed her but haven't received any reply. I went to her place but she wouldn't open the door and when I tried talking through the door she blasted loud rock music to be heard by the whole neighbourhood." I hope that answers his question.

"I don't really fault her." He said. Yeah, I wasn't even expecting him to be on my side.

"What was that whole IP address deal, I still don't understand it," Josh asked.

"My computer was more secure, so he hacked her computer for the information," I said simply.

All of this was only making me more mad and guilty. Everything had a logical explanation, but I chose to blame her instead.

Since then I've turned into this human-robot (even more than before) working all the time and trying not to think...but now I'm tired of the pretence.

I'm not being very productive today, I decided to cancel all my meetings and I'm just sitting in my office feeling greatly pathetic in general.

"I can't believe it has come to this, considering how your first meeting was, this just seems so outlandish," Josh said.

The first time I met her....for some reason that day at the restaurant came to the forefront of my memory. She had made me so mad.

***
(Flashback)

I was fuming with rage.

Just when I thought the day couldn't get worse it actually did. I don't know why the universe thinks I need more challenges that would simply piss me off.

I looked down at my ruined tie and shirt and my blood boiled at the sight of splotches of red wine.
Dammit!

I walked like a man on a mission. Glaring at anyone who dared to meet my heated gaze.

They probably thought I was an arrogant, egotistical jerk, born with a silver spoon, people around usually had a preconceived notion about me because of my name and status and I couldn't be bothered to care, what they thought of me now, I was probably proving all those rumours and giving rise to more speculation. They of course don't care to know how I struggled and rose out of debt and am a self-made billionaire.

Spotting Josh's car out front I walked on and yanked the door open like I was trying to pull it off the hinges and all but fell inside the passenger seat, barking at him to 'drive!'

He looked startled in the driver seat but didn't complain. Swiftly he shifted gear and pulled out of the pickup area.

"Where's your car?" He asked.