Strangest Coincidences

Titan and Titanic 

Art doesn’t just imitate life — sometimes it anticipates it. Fourteen years before the RMS Titanic was built, the American Morgan Robertson wrote a novel called Futility or The Wreck of the Titan (1898) that prefigured the real ship’s destiny with remarkable precision.

Futility, 1898 Edition About the Titan

Morgan Robertson wrote a novel about the Titan published in 1898, titled Futility. His novel described the ship’s loss. It struck an iceberg and went down in April.

The Titanic struck an iceberg at 11:40 p.m. on April 14, 1912 and sank a little over two hours later at 2.20 a.m. on April 15, 1912. The novel was republished, after the Titanic sank, with the title Futility and the Wreck of the Titan. Some of the Titan’s statistics were changed.

John Rowland, Futility’s hero, is a disgraced former Royal Navy lieutenant, who’s a drunkard. After being dismissed from the Navy, he’s a deckhand on the Titan. Then ship hits an iceberg and sinks. There aren’t enough lifeboats. He saves a former lover’s daughter by jumping onto the iceberg with her. Rowland finds a lifeboat washed up on the iceberg and they’re rescued by a passing ship.

Similarities:

**In 1898 Morgan Robertson wrote Futility, The Wreck of the Titan, a novel of greed, pride and stupidity. It described the maiden voyage of a transatlantic luxury liner named the Titan. Although it was touted as being unsinkable, it strikes an iceburg and sinks with much loss of life.

**In 1912 the Titanic, a transatlantic luxury liner widely touted as unsinkable strikes an iceburg and sinks with great loss of life on her maiden voyage.

**The Titanic and the Titan were both triple-screwed British passenger liners with a capacity of 3,000 and a top speed of 24 knots.

**Both were deemed unsinkable; both carried too few lifeboats.

**And both sank in April in the North Atlantic after colliding with an iceberg on the forward starboard side.

**Both collided with an iceberg in the North Atlantic due to excessive speed and both ships had too few lifeboats

**Both were launched in April and their disasters happened in the same month

**Both were the largest ship afloat. The Titan was described as one of man’s greatest works. The Titanic was deemed unsinkable and a wonder of its era.

**Both had a displacement of 45,000 tons

**Both had three propellers and two masts

Differences:

**Titan sailed from New York to Liverpool; Titanic, Southampton to New York.

**It was the Titan’s third voyage; Titanic’s first

**Titan was 800 feet long, weighed 45,000 tons; Titanic, 880 feet long, weighed 46,328 tons

**Titan had fifteen watertight compartments; Titanic, nine

**Titan had 40,000 horsepower; Titanic, 45,000 horsepower

**Titan’s speed, 25 knots; Titanic’s, 24 knots.

Titan and Titanic Coincidence or pure luck, you be the judge?

***********************************************************************

Lincoln and J.F. Kennedy

Lincoln and J.F. Kennedy coincidences surrounding them-