Yeti

Yeti-

The Yeti is a kind of abominable snowman that looks like an ape. It belongs to the class of Cryptids, which are creatures that are believed to exist but scientifically, their existence is not confirmed. The most known features of Yeti, which have been known by people are that, it can walk like a man and has long white hairs covereing its whole body. It has a big man like foot which is a major evidence of it existence because many large, man like foot prints have been seen by people in its suppose habitat.

 Where Does Yeti Live?

The popular place where the sightings of Yeti have been claimed is the Himalayas. The dangerous and extreme mountainous areas of the Himalayan region is a place where only a handful of local population have been living for centuries. Most of the people that come to this place arrive here for the purpose of mountaineering and hiking. So the reports about its sightings have been mostly registered by these mountaineers who saw its foot prints on high areas of Himalayas. Although many sightings have been reported yet, no one has really witnessed it up close to provide any sufficient evidence about its existence.

 Bigfoot and Yeti

There is a close resemblance between existence of the Yeti and the American Bigfoot. The Bigfoot is a similar creature or a cryptid that is believed to live in the North-West region of America. Its main habitat is the forest area of North America. Similar stories like that of the Yeti, have been heard about Bigfoot.

The resemblance between these two cryptids is based on their similar appearance. With long hairy bodies and the common stories of their sighting, both these creatures resemble in their supposed appearance. Although it has been reported that the colour of the Bigfoot is some what dark brownish as compared to white colour of the Yeti.

 Yeti Sightings

There has been many events of its sightings and most of them being mentioned in travel accounts of some adventurer. The first stories about Yeti's sightings emerged in the early 19th century when and adventurer B.H Hodgson claimed to have seen a long ape like creature who ran away on seeing his team.

Similar accounts were published about its sightings and man like foot trail, in the late 19th century.

Later in the 20th century when many mountaineers started to move to the Himalayan region, the number of sightings dramatically increased. The most popular of these is one by Eric Shipton in 1951. Eric even took some snaps of the Yeti while his visit but still it was thought to be an inconclusive evidence.

Even Sir Edmund Hillary reported footprints of Yeti during his famous Mount Everest expedition. Soon afterwards many new things started to appear like, hair samples of Yeti, Yeti's feces etc. Many researches were carried out on these specimens and some concluded them to be of something unknown while others related them to some bear or goat specie. This once again made everything inconclusive.

Present Sightings

Presently similar beliefs are being circulated about its existence and recently the most authentic study about them was carried by a BBC team who analyzed a hair sample of Yeti. The hair after DNA test revealed its resemblance to that found by Sir Edmund Hillary during his expedition. A close analysis showed that these hairs belonged to the Himalayan Gorals.

Currently more stories are appearing on the scene and recently a Japanese team claimed to have filmed Yeti on their cameras. Such things continue to trouble scientists and it is really hard to find the authenticity of any of these claims.

So far there is no firm evidence to support the existence of the Yeti, but there is no way show that he doesn't exist either. If he indeed lives in the barren, frozen, upper reaches of the Himalayas where few men dare to tread, he may find his refuge safe for a long time to come.