Is Paul dead?

Dedicated to sir for all the captivating and charming comments. You are just superb.

...................................................... 

Is Paul dead?

During the late sixties, there were a series of rumors that Beatle Paul McCartney had died in a tragic accident in 1966 had since replaced by a talented look-alike called William Campbell. Such rumors had been originated by the fact that the Beatles had quit touring in ’66 and that their record covers and songs had a bunch of ‘clues’ about the bassist’s supposed death.

How did he supposedly die?

Piecing together clues from songs, films and album covers, conspiracy buffs have come up with this scenario: During the early-morning hours of November 9, 1966, Paul argued with his bandmates in the studio while recording songs for their Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. He left in a huff just before 5 a.m. While driving to a friend's house, Paul picked up a female hitchhiker ‘Rita’ who couldn't control her excitement when she realized who was behind the wheel. She lunged to hug Paul, causing him to lose control of his Aston Martin. It smashed into a stone fence and burst into flames, killing them both. Paul was decapitated and burnt to a crisp, making a positive ID difficult. Despite no evidence to support either the story of the fatal crash or of a cover-up, the rumors persisted.

What are the clues?

Musical clues-

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

This song details the arrival of William Campbell; the Beatles are pretending to be another band in order to reveal the hoax.

With A Little Help From My Friends

The introduction announces "Billy Shears," a pun on words which means "Billy's here," referring to the arrival of William Campbell.

She's Leaving Home

The opening line "Wednesday morning at five o'clock" indicates the time of Paul's crash.

Lovely Rita

Details Paul catching a glimpse of Rita the meter maid, which led to the crash.

Good Morning, Good Morning

The phrases "nothing to do to save his life," "and you're on your own you're in the street," "people running around it's 5 o'clock," and "watching the skirts you start to flirt, now you're in gear" are all details of the crash. Notice the time of the crash matches that in "She's Leaving Home."

A Day In The Life

The person John wrote about in these famous lines is reported to be Tara Browne, heir to the Guinness fortune. But PIDers see these lyrics as a motherlode of crash details, including "He blew his mind out in a car. He didn't notice that the lights had changed. A crowd of people stood and stared. They'd seen his face before..."

Magical Mystery Tour

Fool On The Hill

The fool is apparently Campbell, who is doomed to be ignored for "the sound he appears to make." Or the fool is Paul, who is dead and buried, which is why he lies "perfectly still."