Bizarre Love Rituals

Whether it’s strange ways of declaring love, odd superstitions or traditional courtship methods, love can make people do bizarre things.

The padlocked bridges

Where: Keila Joa, Estonia.

In a charming little spot by a waterfall, separated by a forest from the sea, are a couple of rather unusual bridges.

Traversing the river, they are absolutely covered in padlocks of all shapes and sizes. A closer inspection of the padlocks reveals that they all have two names written on them (often in Cyrillic script, admittedly) and a date.

It’s a custom of the area’s Russian community. Newly-wed couples engrave their names on the lock, and then throw the key into the river. It’s supposed to symbolise that their bond will never be broken, and it’s rather touching to see how many people have come to the bridges to seal their union over the years.

Love spoons

Where: Llangollen, Wales.

It is, of course, vitally important for any father to know that a prospective son-in-law is able to sustain himself and his family. So what better way to prove it than getting him to carve a spoon?

That’s Welsh logic for you, and this is allegedly how the tradition of love spoons came about.

The basic premise is that an amorous young buck would give the spoon to the apple of his eye, with the delicacy of the carving an indication both of his craftsmanship skills and degree of devotion. If she accepted the spoon, they were officially courting.

Nowadays, young Welshmen generally prefer flowers, chocolates or alcohol for the same purpose, but a small cottage industry has built up selling kitsch love spoon souvenirs to tourists.

The Trevi Fountain

Where: Rome, Italy.

A giant piece of baroque ostentation, the Trevi fountain is one of the many highlights in Rome. But for all the architecture, leaping water and mood lighting, the main attraction for many people is a silly but beautiful superstition.

It has long been held that if you throw one coin into the fountain, you’ll return to Rome. However, it’s what happens afterwards that is of interest to lovers.

Some versions of the legend insist that if you throw two coins in, it will lead to marriage, but three coins will lead to divorce. However, others say that the marriage part comes from throwing three coins in with the right hand, over the left shoulder. Hmm, nice contradiction there…

Kachikally Crocodile Pool

Where: The Gambia, West Africa.

Local folklore has it that the waters of this small, luminous green pool are a fertility aid. To bathe in them is reputed to boost the chances of conception, and if the number of children called Kachikally is anything to go by, then there may well be a point.

The only slight snag is that the pool is full of hundreds of really big Nile crocodiles. Astonishingly, none of those crocs has ever been reported to have attacked a human – this is again attributed to a magical spell put on the water. One of the monsters, Charley, even allows people to go up and stroke him.

Four leaf clovers

Where: Ireland.

The four leaf clover is a traditional lucky charm, but many people don’t realise that it also forms part of a love ritual too. In some parts of Ireland, it is believed that if a woman consumes a four leaf clover whilst thinking about a particular gentleman, he will eventually be hers.

Hounen Matsuri

Where: Komaki, Japan.

Forget February 14th and try March 15th if you prefer the romantic sight of twelve foot pen*s being carried through the streets to flowers and chocolates. Hounen Matsuri is an ancient Japanese fertility rite, which involves a group of 42-year-old men (42 is thought to be an unlucky age in Japan) carrying a comically oversized phallus towards a shrine.

They are backed up by a group of ladies carrying smaller versions of the big bruiser, and it is considered lucky for members of the crowd to touch the traditional todgers as they make their way through the streets.

Which one is your favorite?