The Baigong Pipes

The Baigong Pipes 

Ancient plumbers, anyone?

Local legend speculates that Mt. Baigong in the Qinghai Province of China is an ancient extraterrestrial laboratory. 

In rural China, in a location that is considered to be uninhabitable to humans, there are three openings in Mount Baigong that contain hundreds of rustic iron pipes. Some of the pipes run deep into the mountain, others run to a nearby lake. There are more pipes in the lake bottom and there are pipes scattered along the shoreline. The pipes are cleanly cut and not jagged, so they appear to have had a use at one time. This all seems mundane: some pipes sticking out of the ground in China, but archeologists dated the pipes to a time when humanity was just getting familiar with fire, making casting iron impossible.

Some ufologists think that the pipes were part of some sort of UFO landing site or alien complex. They cite that the pipes contain silica, which is also found on Mars, as evidence, but it is important to note that silica can be found in lots of cast iron materials.

The first scientists to examine the subterranean phenomenon concluded that the pipes were composed of 92% common minerals and metals and 8% unknown materials. The obvious inference is that these red-hued tubes were transported here from outer space as part of an alien public works project. 

This Martian theory has garnered so much support that a monument topped off with a corroded satellite dish has been erected near the mountain.

The most recent researchers to examine the pipes believe that the metallic phenomena are in fact fossilized tree root casts, the rusted tubes being the result of tree roots that underwent the processes of pedogenesis (the process that forms soils) and diagenesis (transformation of soil into rock). Further experiments confirmed that the pipes contain organic plant material and even microscopic tree rings. Overflow from an extinct lake once carried these roots to where they stand now.

What purpose did these pipes serve and who put them there?

Many have simply written off the Baigong pipes as a hoax, but doing this ignores the fact that the iron pipes date back to over 5,000 years ago. 

Gosh! How do you explain that?