Marfa Lights

Marfa Lights

So-called ghost lights, also known as spooklights, have been reported in many parts of the world.

One of the most famous havens for ghost lights is the rural town of Marfa, Texas. Sightings of the Marfa Lights reportedly go back as far as the 19thcentury. They have been witnessed by countless people and studied by scientists.

There is no doubt that the Marfa Lights exist, but what causes them? The television program “Unsolved Mysteries” featured a segment about the lights and conducted an on-screen interview with a man who had seen the lights at a remote Marfa army base during the 1940’s, when there was no significant traffic in the area. Despite this, the most common conventional explanation for the Marfa lights (and most ghost lights) is that they are caused by car light reflections. There are also many other theories, ranging from scientific to paranormal.

Theories

-The lights are caused by automobile light reflections. Proponents of this theory usually dismiss all pre-traffic sightings as hoaxes and lies.

-They are will-o-the-wisp, St. Elmo’s fire, refracted starlight, or swamp gas.

-They are a mirage caused by the area’s atmospheric conditions.

-They are ball lightning.

-Witnesses are seeing campfires in the distance and mistaking them for something unusual.

-The lights are UFO’s. Apparently, the aliens have been flying in the same area for several decades. They must be pretty bored by now.

-The lights are the spirits of the dead. There is a Native American legend that the ghost of an Apache chief still haunts the area. There are also local legends in many spooklight areas about a man who was decapitated in a train accident. The ghost light is supposedly the lantern his spirit uses to search for his severed head.

Choose the one, you love the most.