CHPTR 3 -Once More-

It's been about another week since Techno has come around these parts and it has been awful to say the least.

I have recently found out that after our sentence is served they strip us in front of the towns folk and beat us to "show an example if they break the laws." They plan to rule over us in fear.

A Tyranny

The only reason I know this is because I saw it. I had no clue of this before because I wouldn't get out of the house much less come to the marketplace. And during this time of year, when it's just starting to get cold during the day and freezing during the night.

But when they tossed the naked frail man outside there was a commotion in the streets.

From between the feet of the people standing by I managed to catch a glimpse of the man when they kicked his stomach.

The man pleaded and groaned for them to stop. My gut hurt from just watching the guards beat at the man endlessly.

Tears stung at my eyes. I didn't know that man but his please for help fell upon an unwilling crowd. Some people even cheered. Telling the guards to kick him harder.

It was disgusting to see the people cheer for this. I had to look away, but the shouts and pleads continue. Gosh I just want them to stop.

They went on for a while, and then the crowd dispersed and I finally saw the man on the floor, he was bloody and bruised.

But people walked by as if nothing was there. It was close to the curfew so the people on the streets started thinning.

I tried my best to think of something to help the man, but he stayed there all beaten.

But then someone walked out from the corner, the leaned down before the man and carefully lifted him up. I couldn't exactly see who it was but i could see that the person who helped the man was wearing dark colors, they looked back at me and I saw tufts of blond hair in the moonlight. But just as quickly as they came they ran off.

It was stuck in my mind, the look the person had held a burning passion behind it. Who were they exactly. And where and why did they take that man.

However every time I think about that man I think of the scars and bleeding. Will that happen to me? Will they toss me to the ground and beat me mercilessly? Will the people cheer?

It brought a sickening feeling to my stomach. I can't be thinking of this now, it's only been 8 months here.

So I hold myself. Shivering in the cold with only my thin blanket to wrap around myself.

"You look a bit cold there." A voice breaks through the overall silence of the outside.

Looking up to my window I find Techno looking back at me.

I just let out a strained laugh.

"You seem tense, something happen?" There was genuine curiosity behind his words and I manage out a whimper.

Was I really to blame though? I was scared. What if the guards that bring my food decide I deserve a beating like the man, sure I'm not done with my sentence but it's not uncommon for the guards to beat the prisoners here.

"I don't want to be here anymore Techno." I manage to mumble out. He heard me anyways.

"Did something happen?" He asks once again and shifts to sit cross legged, showing he was listening.

I just wrap the blanket around me tighter, shivering from both the cold and the anxiety building in my stomach.

"They beat a man nearly to death. He finished his sentence and yet they still- he was crying Techno! He was telling them to stop! They kept going!" I sputtered through a lump in my throat, looking at him.

I guess the part that got to me was he pleaded and pleaded but he was only answered with more kicks.

I felt tears welling up in my eyes.

"Well what did he do?" Techno asked, the emotion in his voice gone like the first time we spoke.

"I- I don't know." I mumble looking away from him.

"Then who's to say he didn't deserve it." He spoke uncaring.

I knew he had a point, I didn't know what he did to deserve it.

"Right." I mumble

"So then why are you crying?" His voice softened a little, it was almost unnoticeable.

I look away, almost embarrassed.

"I guess I'm scared they will beat me just as mercilessly."

"But your sentence isn't over." He straightened his back a bit.

"It's not uncommon for them to beat the prisoners here. The only reason I've gone so long unscathed by the guards here is because I am complicit." I explain pulling my legs further towards me.

He just hummed.

"Sorry, I don't even know you much and I'm already spilling my guts out to you." I let out a small chuckle as I wipe my eyes.

"No problem with that." He simply says.

There is a silence between as we let the time go by. Yet I'm still sniffling and shivering.

"Hey, (y/n), can you come here real quick?" Techno shifted about, standing up to where I could only see his brown leather boots.

I comply, standing up and feeling the cold air rush to me, the thin blanket saving no heat. I stand on my toes to reach up to the window and look at Techno.

"Here." He crouches again and puts his cape through the bars.

"What?" is he offering his cape to me?

"It's cold no? Take it." He shoves it further for me to get it, and reluctantly I take it. It feels so soft and thick.

"I can't- Techno- I don't think the guards will let me keep this!" I exclaim now in worry.

"If they ask say you got it from Technoblade, they will let you keep it." He says while looking away almost uncaring.

"How do you know that-" I ask, yet still wrap the warm cape around my shoulder, instantly feeling much warmer than before.

"I just know." He offers a confident smirk. "Well I gotta head out." He gets up again.

"Thank you so much, really thank you." I reach my hand out and he seems to hesitate a bit before reaching down and holding my hand.

I smile, "Stay safe Techno."

"You too." Is all he says as he walks away now.

Gosh- I surely can't be falling for a man I've only spoken to a few times-

But as I bring my hand back through the bars and lay on the bed, I can't stop thinking of his hand in mine.

Now I lay, hoping to see him soon once more.