CHPTR 16 - talks

I woke up in the morning, it was still mildly cloudy and I woke up alone. Techno probably had something to do. I sighed, I felt stuck to the bed, like it held my body with it's warm enticing pull.

I had so much to do, I had to stack up on health and regeneration potions. Techno was going on another expedition soon and I would be joining. Of course he did not know this, Phil suggested I keep it a secret until it was time to leave.

Although I did not like to keep secrets from Techno, I could tell he would greatly try to keep me from going. I felt he didn't have to worry. I had learned to fight, to heal. Plus, what is the best way of learning if not by experience?

I quickly unravel myself from the thick covers, going to my room to get ready before I head out to gather ingredients. Albeit being cold, I wore a sleeveless shirt and some shorts. I knew that I would be working in the lab and it got hot pretty quick there. I still had to go out to the gardens to grab some melons. I had to get this done today to have time to work out what other things I would need for the expedition. I have about 5 days to fully prepare.

I went to the lab to grab the gear, the large gloves and boots and the large goggles that hugged almost half my face. I'm fairly certain that they are eating at the moment so it should not be much of a hassle to get to work with no interruptions. 

As I passed the large doors to the dinning room on my way to the gardens I heard the unmistakable sound of Tommy's yelps and curses. I chuckled and continued on my way. If I remember correctly the melons were about halfway from the castle and the forest. It shouldn't take long. I pushed past the doors into the cold outside. The wind nipped wildly at my skin, giving me goose flesh.

I made my way quickly, scanning around for the large round fruit. After a good while searching I found them. The large patch of land that held watermelon in a nice brick enclosure.

Now to find a decent one. I inspected each closely, gently turning each. Finally I grabbed a well rounded one, it looked the most ready. I picked it up and gave it some good hearty slaps, when I heard a dull thump I knew it was a good pick.

I rested it under my arm, supporting it with my hip. I was going to choose another, who knew how many I would need right?

After having both carefully chosen, I made my way back, walking through the doors back into the 'not so cold' inside. It was at least warmer than outside.

I made my walk back to the lab seeing Baker waiting by the door with a steaming bowl and a sweet roll.

"Good morning Baker." I greet, motioning him to open the door for me.

"Morning." Baker's voice sounded raw. He opened the door, following in after me. He set the bowl and napkin with the sweet roll on the table by the door.

"The prince asked me to bring you your breakfast." I studied Baker as I placed the melons down, keeping them from rolling off the table.

Baker looked worn out, his eyes were swollen and lidded slightly.

"Baker? Is everything alright?" This was the first time I had ever seen him like this. It was heartbreaking. The usual up and go lucky characteristics were dulled down to a hollowed person.

"Yeah I just- just-" He sputtered, his hazel eyes glossing over.

It worried me and I was quickly at his side. Discarding my gloves and giving him gentle pats through his thick armour.

"What's wrong?" I asked gently, leading him down to a chair, getting him to sit down and kneeling down, holding his hand as he took off his gauntlet to wipe his eyes.