Chapter 6

One Month Later
Luz and Amity kept their distance when they were in public or at Hexide. More people were asking about what coven they were joining. They ended up doing the same thing as Emira and Edric, just saying they needed more time to think about it to avoid the question.

Luz and Amity did however share glances with each other when nobody was looking. Or when they thought no one was looking.

Luz was having issues with her locker again, but was lucky that they had eight minutes before class.

Amity passed Luz and her friends in the hallway, looking like Boscha was getting on her nerves again. It appeared that was the case because Boscha was still bugging her about being friends with Luz. Amity cast a quick smile at the group and then kept walking like it didn't happen.

Willow narrowed her eyes at Amity and then looked back at Luz.

Amity had actually stopped close enough to hear the following conversation, since another student asked for her to help unhex her locker. Amity had set her books down to try casting some reverse spells, which kept causing a pain in her shoulder. She ended up hearing every word of the conversation behind her, while everyone was oblivious and thought she was gone.

Willow P. I don't know what you see in her.

Luz N.: Huh? What do you mean?

Amity's ears went up as she continued trying to fix the locker with the other student, while Willow spoke again.

Willow P.: Don't pretend you don't know, please. I see how you and Amity look at each other. And then there was that time last month where she dragged you out of the cafeteria for no clear reason.

Augustus P.: Wait, is that why Amity kept blushing every time she talked about Luz?

Willow P.: Yeah.

Gus nodded in understanding.

Augustus P.: Okay.

Luz N.: I... oh... so I guess we need to be more careful?

Willow blinked.

Willow P.: Uh, what do you mean?

Luz N.: I... we don't want her family to know about us being together...

Willow looked concerned then.

Willow P.: So... she's embarrassed by you?

Luz's head shot up.

Luz N.: No no no! She's worried that her parents will hurt me if they know. She knows for a fact they won't approve of us being together, and is worried about what they'll try to do to split us up. They might even manipulate Ed and Em into going against me.

Willow looked at he ground, looking sad and angry.

Willow P.: So... the same thing as me, then. She says she cares, but the moment her mom and dad say no, she just forgets everything and breaks your heart... Luz, are you really sure you want to be with someone like her?

Luz's eyes widened. And a sliver of doubt came into her mind.

Luz N.: Yes, I am. A—are you really still that angry with her? I'd understand if it was her parents you were angry at, but Amity didn't want to stop being friends with you! You saw that memory didn't you...?

Willow P.: Yet she didn't have the willpower to go against her parents wishes? I mean, yeah, they don't seem very pleasant, but it can't be bad enough that she would literally fear for your life. Do you know what would happen to her family's reputation if they hurt a random student unprovoked?