Chapter 18

Four Years Later
Amity wasn't necessarily expecting some of the things that happened during the past four years. But she didn't mind how her career turned out so far, even knowing that her mother would have had a lot of negative things to say about it.

Amity was surprisingly happy with being a teacher. Specifically the abomination teacher. Primarily because she wasn't expecting Principal Bump to offer her the position because she was so talented with that form of magic. Amity would have guessed that he would have assumed someone better fit to be a teacher. However, he did bring up her job at the library. And as didn't argue with the reasoning after.

Luz on the other hand had been experimenting with different potions to help with things such as curses. Which she had been successful at.

The trick was that for the cure, she had to go to another area outside of the Boiling Isles to find the ingredient that weakened the curse enough for the cure to fully take effect. The elixir that Lilith and Eda were using was flawless otherwise. And the guy who made them thanked Luz for giving them the ingredient for them to have a permanent effect. So at that point her job was to find ingredients for potions and give them to people making them.

Lilith was unsure of this visit at first. Belos had asked for her to attend a meeting to discuss something important. She didn't know what it was.

Lilith looked at her hand, having a scar or two from where her feathers used to grow. But to her and Eda's delight, that wasn't something that either of the two sisters had to worry about anymore.

Lilith entered the room, feeling weird about going through the halls after roughly eight years of keeping her distance. A sense of unfamiliarity made a twist in her abdomen as she heard her footsteps echoing through the hall. And she held a strange suspicion that this wouldn't be the last time she entered that building. Not by a long shot, either.

Lilith finally reached the double doors leading to the room she was told to enter. Having grown especially anxious and uncomfortable at the silence. Perhaps this was after she had grown accustomed to hearing Hooty yelling about nothing in particular. Or hearing her sister knocking stuff over when trying to sort through things to sell at the market. Or King getting excited or annoyed about, anything, really.

Lilith opened the doors, finding only the coven leaders with Belos. None of the Emperor's Coven members seemed to be present, which surprised Lilith.

Emperor Belos: Ah, Lilith. I was starting to worry that you didn't wish to come.

Lilith took that as her cue to sit down in the empty seat.

Lilith C.: Is there a particular reason you asked me to come here?

Belos nodded.

Emperor Belos: Yes, and the outcome of this meeting will be something that will affect all citizens of the Boiling Isles. Which is why I called all Coven leaders here today.

Emperor Belos continued speaking calmly and professionally. Despite the other witches in the room becoming increasingly aware of what was going to happen.

Emperor Belos: Now, I am not sure if anyone has picked up on it yet, but I have become increasingly aware that my state is degrading. Not just in terms of leadership in general, but also in terms of physical health. So, Lilith, I called you here, because I figured that you could in the very least find a good solution. But primarily,

Emperor Belos looked directly at Lilith now, as he revealed the surprise to those in the room.

Emperor Belos: Lilith, I wished to know if you would be willing to replace me as the leader of the Boiling Isles.

Lilith blinked in surprise. She would have said that it was the last thing she expected, but she hadn't even known what to expect in the first place.

The head coven leader raised her hand.

Odalia B.: Not to question your ability to make logical decisions, my liege. But are you sure Lilith is the best option? Let's not forget that she directly interfered with the plans for the Day of Unity and tried to break her outlaw sister out of prison. Not to mention the fact that she shares half of a curse.

Belos nodded in acknowledgment.

Emperor Belos: I understand your reasoning, but I do believe Lilith to be a good candidate. Despite having a less than perfect record, not only has she never been a threat, but I find her criminal acts to have been completely justifiable. She no longer has a curse, as I'm sure you know that Luz Noceda has been able to find a cure for all curses. And I haven't a doubt in my mind that Lilith has every witch's best interests at heart. There is a reason she was made into the head coven leader before she left and you replaced her.

Odalia didn't protest after that, nobody else in the room seemed to have any objections to Lilith becoming the Empress.

Emperor Belos: Now, whether or not Lilith is considered fit to lead the Isles was not the only reason I have called this meeting. I also wish to know if, Lilith, you feel ready to handle that responsibility. I understand if you need time to think this over. And to help relieve the pressure, I do have someone else in mind if you don't feel up for it. This is entirely your call now.

Lilith was silent for a moment, partially to process what was just suggested to her, and partially to actually think her answer over.

As she thought it through, however, she began feeling more comfortable with the situation. Eventually becoming confident enough to lift her head again and reply.

Lilith C.: I accept your offer. And I promise to be the best example of leadership I can be.

After that moment, everyone on the Boiling Isles was aware of the change coming.