Chapter 12

One Month Later
It took a little while for the school to calm down about Amity and Luz being married. It didn't take long for Principal Bump to call them in and ask about name changes. Amity was no longer a Blight as far as the school was concerned. And Principal Bump reassured them both that on Final Duels Day, all students being called to duel would be referred to by last name. But if there were two with the same last name, he would say their first initial and their surname.

This was when Principal Bump admitted that Odalia Blight had visited his office asking if he knew where Amity went, and he answered no assuming that Amity had a good reason not to be found by her parents. He ended up being right. He gave the other teachers a heads up that Amity had a different surname, and that her parents were not her legal guardians anymore.

There were a few students that gave them a hard time, particularly Amity. However the majority of their classmates either didn't say anything about it, or congratulated them.

What made the four nervous, however, was that Final Duels Day was that day.

Since there were so many students, the tracks were grouped up into time slots, roughly an hour and a half per track. The Emperor's Coven tryouts would go last. This was how it went since Hexside had opened, and it was one of the reasons it was considered such a tough school. Especially since winning the duel(s) was a graduation requirement.

Amity guessed that her parents would go to that final time slot to look for her. However, Amity signed up for the Abomination Coven instead. And Luz, since she was in the Everything Track, had to be a part of every time slot, and duel every track leader. She was only able to opt out of dueling for the Emperor's Coven.

The rest of the students were called in an assembly type fashion, but outside from that they just hung out until their track was called, unless a student wanted to watch their friend or family member duel.

Time seemed to fly by fast because Amity was nervous. Actually, all four were nervous. Eda and Lilith were there, but weren't allowed in the building because Emperor Belos was there as well, and because they were still in big trouble with him.

King was hanging out with the four, and joined them to watch Gus and Willow preform their duels and pass. Amity watched all of them since Luz was doing every duel. Amity began feeling more nervous, but in a different way than before. Like she knew that something was going to happen.

Then, it was the Abomination Track's duels. Amity was one of the last students to go, she took her hair out of its ponytail just to be extra safe, and gave Luz a good luck hug.

—Principal Bump: L. Noceda!

Luz walked into the arena, getting her glyphs ready. Amity heard a whistle, and saw Emira and Edric in the audience cheering for her and Luz.

The teacher made the first move, Luz dodged the attack, and summoned her own abomination to combat the teacher's. It succeeded at first, but when it started losing, Luz summoned another one. All Luz had to do to pass was to defeat the teacher's abomination.

With some extra effort, Luz's abominations crushed the teacher's.

Teacher: Final duel passed!

Amity cheered for Luz, as did King, Willow, Gus, Emira, and Edric. Basically every student who had started cheering her on when they saw her passing all nine track duels.

Luz came back in, and Amity hugged her tight. Obviously, Luz was exhausted from all of the duels, so Amity wasn't going to hold back how proud she was that she made it.

Amity N.: Good job, Luz... you did great!

Luz made sure nobody in the audience was watching when she pulled Amity in for a short peck on the lips.