Chapter 1

One Month Ago
Luz N.: Hey! Amity, have you read about this yet?

Amity glanced up at her girlfriend. No, they were technically engaged. The general consensus was that they both wanted to marry each other some time in the future, however neither of them had any idea when they thought it would be a good time to do so.

Actually, they wanted to get married as soon as they were able to, however, both were worried about their circumstances, and didn't know if they could make a marriage work. Nobody knew about their relationship, not even Eda, Willow, Gus, and especially not Ed and Em.

This made both of them a bit sad, as their future-related conversations began going in the direction of having a family, which both wanted desperately to happen at some point. This they definitely agreed on. When everything else settled down, they would.

However, adoption was somewhat of a foreign concept to the Boiling Isles. So it would be extremely difficult for them to have children, especially as they liked the idea of having their own.

But Amity figured they'd have more time to weigh their options.

Amity B.: Hm?

Luz bounced up and down excitedly.

Luz N.: Have you heard of this creature? It's called the Wantior! Apparently, this lady uses her magic to fulfill a person's biggest dream or desire! Isn't that neat?!

Amity read the page, and paused.

Amity B.: Yeah, but what's so special about it?

Luz beamed.

Luz N.: Weeeell, it says that she can also put things on a timer of sorts! That a person would only be able to have that thing after something happens prior!

Amity blinked again.

Luz: Amyyyyy, this could be our golden ticket to having a family in the future! We could make a deal with her and have a timer so that when everything has calmed down, we can start a family!

Amity smiled, but frowned as she laid her pointer finger under a line.

Amity B.: That would be fantastic, but it says here that her fine print is really clever and can really screw a person over. One person who wanted to continue weaving and escape poverty, the book says, got turned into a giant spider. How would that help us?

Luz narrowed her eyes and pointed to a lower spot on the page.

Luz N.: Well, you haven't read the whole thing! It says that while we shouldn't take the visit lightly, whatever deal she proposes isn't absolute as long as we haven't signed the contract yet. She even likes it when people analyze the fine print and figure out a decent outcome with no negative loopholes! We'll need to be careful, but we can do it!

Amity read that part, and couldn't argue that it sounded risky, but great. However, she paused, not necessarily because she was nervous.

Amity B.: But, how would the deal work? Should we just say we would like to have a biological child or children sometime later?

Luz shrugged.

Luz: By the looks of it, yeah. I don't know the mechanics of it, but it's magic, what can it not do?

Amity smiled a bit and nodded.

Amity B.: Yeah, you got me there... where can we find her?
The Next Day
The couple wandered out into the deep forest, having agreed to do it after school when both of them told everyone who needed to know that they had to do something. They gave a long time to be gone, since they didn't know how long the trip would take. Amity giving herself the whole night. Luz giving about three hours.