25 the 2nd degree of separation

Danny's POV

Jess hadn't spoken to me in days... It really hurt to see her every where I went, it was like a reminder of all the shit I've done... Katie still seemed optimistic that we'd get back together but I was too busy drowning in oblivion to even notice... We had arrived in Manchester for the UK tour... I'm glad I had music as a shoulder to cry on...

"Heyy Dan... " She said as she came and sat next to me

"Hi... I need cheering up, fancy going for a coffee?"

"Yeah sure, feels like we haven't had a proper chat in ages!"

"Katie!!!" Jess walked in, she actually sounded happy until she saw me... It just ripped my heart into billions of pieces... "Oh... Wanna come to town" she said completely ignoring my existence

"Sooooooorrrryyy, already made plans with Dan"

"Fuck sake! Is he your best friend now?!" She sounded very pissed off... But there was no need to take it out on Katie...

"He's my brother and he asked first to be fair... We can go to town tomorrow" Katie said, trying to keep the situation calm but I could see Jess's face fill with rage...

"FAIR?! YOU THINK THIS IS FAIR?? YOU'RE TAKING HIS SIDE OVER MINE, HOW THE FUCK IS THAT FAIR?!" I knew Katie well enough now... When someone shouts at her like that she either gets extremely angry or extremely emotional... I knew which one it was gonna be when I saw her swallow, trying to keep back the tears...

"I'm not taking anybody's side... He's still my brother, and your still my best friend... He asked first... Its not like you can split me in half is it"

"YOU CAN'T BE ON BOTH SIDES"

"I'm not on either of your sides...Your problems aren't mine"

"WELL THEY ARE NOW! YOUR BROTHER CHEATED AND LIED TO ME, I'M PRETTY SURE THAT MAKES IT YOUR PROBLEM... SO WHO ARE YOU GONNA CHOOSE?" I could see Katie really trying to hold back the tears now, so she didn't speak at first "YOU BITCH"

"What?! So I'm a bitch if I stay in the middle and I'm a bitch if I choose my own brother... Cos that's fair and not selfish at all!" I stood up and put my arm around Katie's shoulders...

"She's right, its not fair to put her that position... She has the right not to get involved in this and she has a right to be on both sides... Its not fair treating her like a child in all of this!" I couldn't just let Katie be on her own in this

"WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE BLOODY THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BEFORE YOU CHEATED!!!" She turned back to Katie "AND YOU CALL ME SELFISH!?! THAT'S RICH COMING FROM YOU WHO'D RATHER SPEND TIME WITH DANNY... YOU ARE JUST AS MUCH AS A ASSHOLE AS HE IS!"

"Well I'd rather be an asshole than be friends with one" she stepped closer to me and Jess stormed out...

"Katie, I'm s-"

"Just leave it Dan... I'm gunna go to bed... " She said sweetly, took her laptop and left...

Katie's POV

It was just like being at home again, being treated like a child... At least Dan bothered to stick up for me... What the hell was Jess's problem?! I skyped Freddie... I felt closer to him now we were in Manchester and to see his face made me feel like I was back in Dublin...

"Hi, sorry I haven't really spoken to you since Dublin... Been really busy!" I said, putting on a bit of a brave face

"Aw, its ok... How's everything going?"

"Pretty well... People are actually recognising us in the streets... That's pretty weird... How about you?"

"Well new roommates are terrible... Really miss you..."

"Miss you too... Could really do with a hug right now as well... "

"Naaaww, if I could send you one I would... Is everything alright??"

"Yeah... Its just Dan and Jess... They sorta split up a few days ago and are kinda having a bit of a custody war... "

"They have a kid?! How long have you been away, I didn't even know they were together!"

"Na, its me they're fighting over... At least Danny's being reasonable... Jess is just a ball of rage... She was even trying to make me choose between them two"

"She'll get over it... Why did they split up?"

"Irma kissed Danny and Jess assumed he was cheating... But she kissed him... He's innocent!"

"She'll realise sooner or later...Or at least learn to be civil!"

"Bloody hope so, its like witnessing six degrees of separation in here!"

"Is this the first time I have actually got your script reference?!"

"Woah... How so?"

"I've been listening to your CD's... I'm like a house cat... It makes me feel like you're home!!"

"Haha, well I'll bring you some tuna when I get back... Only another month and a half to go!!"

"Fucking love tuna!!... Oh shit! Roommates back... I gotta go... Love you"

"Love you too byeeeee" I closed my laptop

... Did I just say 'I love you' to Freddie?! What the fuck?!...