Chapter Thirty-Nine

I opened my eyes feeling weak and restless despite seemingly been knocked out for a while. My vision was blurred so I kept blinking until it cleared. Tan walls surrounded me, everything made of wood. I seemed to be in a small building or maybe a small room in a building. Maybe even an old barn or a storage building. I was sitting on the ground. Something wet trickled and itched on my forehead, making me try to reach up and touch the substance, but quickly realized my hands were restrained behind me. It felt like I was tied to a wooden beam pole. My first instinct was to scream, but it was muffled by the cloth gag in my mouth. Where the heck was I? Was I still on the farm?

There was no one else around from what I could see. I was alone. At least I could see this time. I wiggled my wrists around to figure out what was binding me. Rope. Immediately I turned a little so I could rub the rope back and forth on the corner of the wooden post. Maybe I could wear the rope down before someone came back to check on me. It was something Kason had taught me. As I did so, I continued to scream out, even though I was muffled. But after a while, my throat hurt too much to continue.

Hours later, or what it felt like anyway, I heard a door open behind me. It slammed shut as footsteps thumped behind me. I stopped wearing down the ropes. "Well look who woke up earlier than expected." I leaned my head back against the wood as a figure walked around into view. His brown hair was now shaved into a buzz cut making him look much more intimidating than before. Sam. Fury flared through my chest, every one of my breaths like fire. I tried screaming at him and started pulled on my ropes to attack him. Useless, cause I knew I wouldn't get anywhere, but it made me feel better trying.

"I can't understand a word you are saying, Darling," he chuckled, kneeling down in front of me. So close, but out of my reach obviously. "Don't worry, your ride is almost here," he added, making me furrow my eyebrows. I watched as he glanced behind me at my hands. "Oh, and don't think I didn't notice you trying to break the ropes...Guess he was right—you really are a fighter." He? What the heck was Sam doing. I knew he was insane. He truly did kill Macy and maybe he was about to do the same thing to me.

He reached back and pulled another cloth out. That's when I started fighting again. No. I was not about to be knocked out and completely defenseless again. He needed to man up and face me when I was actually capable of fighting back. He was taking the easy way out. The pungent smelling cloth was pressed against my nose and lips once again. All I could do was stare into his psychotic gaze as his smile widened in amusement. As minutes ticked by, I grew tired. I hated that feeling. It made me weak. I would have tried to ask if he was insane, but I already knew the answer. "Say hello to your daddy for me," he spoke lastly as my eyes fluttered close and darkness surrounded me once again.

#

The next time my eyes opened, I was in a completely different place. I was laying down in a small, confined space. I was thrown around a little as the world shook. What the heck? Country music filled my ears, playing close by, loud, but not blaring to the point where it hurt my eardrums. I was in a car. I was in the trunk of a car.

My arms were tied in front of me, this time in tight zip ties, compared to the ropes like last time. I guess that lesson was learned. My ankles were bound with zip ties also, but they seemed loose enough to where I could get out of it if I tried hard enough. Once again, a piece of cloth was tied around my head and in my mouth, gagging me. As always, my first instinct is to scream and thrash around. The trunk was so small. Even kicking my feet against the side of the space wasn't loud. I could barely move in the small space. My mouth and throat felt too dry and raw to scream repeatedly. I was dehydrated. There was no telling how long had passed since I was taken from my room.

What had Sam done? Why in the world would he do this? Whose car was I in? Was he taking me to Charles? Kason and my brother were the next things to cross my mind. They would wake up and I would just be gone. They'd both be worried sick. I wouldn't be surprised if they were frantic in panic at this exact moment.