Chapter Thirty-Three

I stood at the end of the sidewalk with my arms folded tightly over my chest as I watched Aria, and the twins climb into a black van. A security man was packing all of their suitcases in the trunk like a game of Tetris. "You gonna be okay while I'm gone?" Kason asked, stopping at my side on his way to follow the others.

I nodded. "Of course. I've got Gavin and the Pipers here with me," I reminded him.

He slipped me a delicate sad smile and pulled me into his chest. "Don't let Sam bother you too much."

I exhaled in his embrace, always feeling completely calm in his arms. "I can stick up for myself," I replied confidently.

His chest vibrated against my head as he chuckled. "I know you can." Pulling away, he kissed me on the lips before leaving me completely and making his way to the van. He stopped briefly at the door and waved with a small smile, before disappearing behind the closed door.

Saturday. They were only going to be gone until Saturday. It's currently Monday morning. I could do this. How much could happen in five days anyway?

#

"I'm sorry it had to come down to this Babe."

I watched the scene before me, not taking a part in it, but seemingly watching from above. Sam stood over a girl, supporting her weight, but holding a blade deep within her chest. She seemed to be a little taller than I was and a little thinner, but we shared the same hair color. Her olive skin contrasted with the white floor and bright space of the area, but our facial features were nearly identical. From a distance, I observed her staring at Sam in isolated fear, her hands falling from his arm, limply to her sides.

"I pray you forgive me, Darling." With that, he twisted the knife that was already embedded in her chest, making her choke on the blood that was dripping off her lips and down her chin. I watched the man before me then release his grip on the beautiful woman and let her fall sharply to the solid, cement floor. Honestly, in my opinion, she looked to be dead before she even hit the ground.

Sam and I both stared at the still woman in front of us. Call me crazy, but within moments, her appearance started to change. Her skin faded to a paler tone like my own, a little bit of toned muscle weight seemed to be gained and even her strands of hair shrunk down to look like the length of mine. She was now me. Delilah Rose was now the lady lying dead on the ground, with a knife in her chest and Sam Piper standing over her.

I arose with a gasp, the dream embedded in my memory and replaying over the course of seconds. I was now sitting up on the living room couch, where I had fallen asleep not long before. Spotting my phone on the coffee table in front of me, I checked the time and saw that it was 4 pm. My day since the others had left for home wasn't very productive at all. It was mainly spent browsing in the Bible I had found lying around and watching reruns of old shows I used to watch as a kid before I had let myself take a nap. But without anyone to enjoy company with except for my own brother, it had seemed like good ways to spend my alone time.

My dream replayed in my head. This whole ex-girlfriend of Sam's that looked creepily similar to me was making it's way too deep in my brain. It was weird—that I already knew, but now the situation was taking space up in my dreams too... a big "no thanks" from me. A part of me was curious and wanted to look deeper into the situation. What actually happened to her? Someone doesn't just disappear off the planet without leaving a trace. Even if she did live in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

A loud "ring" filled the air as my cellphone started vibrating on the glass coffee table in front of the couch. I picked it up and answered with a "hey," expecting it to be Daniel on the other end.