Chapter Eight

I helped Gavin finish setting up the second tent, as Kason and Holden started on the third, and Aria and Marla worked on building a campfire in the middle of them. "You know, Gavin and I have never been camping," I announced. "I'm excited."

Aria gasped as if it was a huge shock. "Then we are going to make sure this is the best camping trip ever."

Suddenly Kason chuckled as he pushed the tent's stakes into the ground. "Aria and I used to go camping all the time when we were little," he told us. Aria laughed as if memories were resurfacing in her mind.

"We've gone a few times, but not for a few years," Holden said, looking at his sister, who was nodding. "Also, we should probably keep our trash and stuff off the ground, so we don't have any trouble with bears and raccoons."

"Bears?" Aria asked, looking alert. "No one said that there were bears."

Kason laughed. "Do you remember that time we were riding our bikes on a trip and we watched a bear cross the river? By the time we rode up further and came back, it was back on our side of the river and walking in the road."

"How could I not remember the time a bear chased us?" she asked, sounding disapproving of the memory.

My boyfriend rolled his eyes. "It wasn't chasing us. It was running away from cars and happened to go in our direction."

She shook her head. "It chased us."

Kason just laughed again. "She's traumatized."

"Well as long as we don't leave out a mess, we won't be bothered by them," Holden tried to assure her.

She didn't look at him, only poked at the low burning fire in the pit with a stick. "That does not ease my anxiety."

A few hours later, all three tents were set up in a triangle, and a campfire was successfully burning in the center of them all. The boys had decided to go fishing since the camp was ready to go and there were still a few hours of sunlight left. Aria, Marla and I decided to cook dinner while the boys were gone. Well, Aria did. She was taking the job upon herself after she had suddenly decided that she was the best cook of all time. I had never cooked over a fire anyway, and Marla wasn't interested, so we didn't mind letting her. In the end, Aria did indeed burn a few hot dogs, but properly made enough for us three and then some for the boys when they returned.

"We should make s'mores now," Marla said, looking unsatisfied as she finished her hotdog and bag of chips.

I wrinkled my nose, really not interested in a dessert at that time. "I don't know; I'm not really feeling s'mores right now."

"Then we should make them for breakfast," she replied.

Aria just chuckled as she ate, and I shook my head. "You can't eat s'mores for breakfast," I told her.

"Why not?"

"Because that's just wrong."

"There's never a wrong time to eat s'mores." I just left her words at that, realizing that my opinion wasn't going to change her mind.

"Do you think we should go looking after the boys?" Aria asked, looking a little worried.

I shook my head and threw my napkin in the fire. "They will come back when they are done."

"But it's getting dark and they aren't back yet," she told me. "They said that they would be back before nightfall."

"Actually, they said they'd probably be back by then," I corrected her. "They're probably just enjoying themselves. Let the boys be boys for a little while longer."

My words didn't seem to ease her anxiety because she started nibbling on her bottom lip. "But what if something happened?"

"Nothing happened," I assured her, glancing at Marla to see her opinion. She was staring into the fire with a blank expression. I couldn't tell who's side she was on.

"But how to do you?" Aria questioned.

I sighed. "Because if something happened, then one of them would come looking for help," I said, knowing my words were true. "They are fine."

"But what if..." she continued.

"They are okay," I assured them both, after noticing that Marla was looking hesitant, too." A yawn escaped me. "And now I'm tired so I'm going to bed." The sun was starting to disappear behind the mountain, leaving a low light settling in the clear sky as the moon started to rise.

"Wait, don't leave us alone," Aria spoke up immediately.

I stared at them. "You aren't alone. You have each other."

"Delilah."

"I'm going to bed."

"Then what about us?"

I shrugged and stood up from my fold up chair. "Stay up. Or go to sleep, too," I suggested.

Marla fumbled with her fingers. "I don't think I'll be able to sleep until the boys are back."

I sighed. "Then stay here and get a hold of Chad and Brandon with the walkie talkie if you need anything," I advised, picking up the communication device out of the chair I had been sitting in and handing it to Marla.

"Delilah," Aria called after me as I turned and started walking away.

"I'm going to bed," I told her.

"Then I'm going with you," she replied, quickly standing from her seat.

"Don't count me out," Marla followed Arai's actions and made her way to follow us.

I just took a deep breath and turned around before walking to the tent that was supposed to be for me and Kason. Both girls followed me inside and immediately made themselves comfortable on top of the blankets we had earlier placed out. "This tent wasn't built for three people," I commented, quickly taking notice of the now very limited space.

"It is now," Marla said, grabbing one of the four pillows and laying down.

I watched my friends make themselves comfortable before closing their eyes to go to sleep. "Okay then."

***

The rest of this chapter will be up tomorrow:)

~Emily