Chapter Sixteen

#

I exhaled a sigh of relief as I signed my name at the bottom of the last sheet of paper and leaned back in my chair as I stared at the stack of papers in front of me. Daniel had given me the order to fill out all of these papers that needed my signature in order to officially relocate me. I had been sitting at this table in the middle of a big working room in the station for hours getting them done. Police officers had been hustling around me the whole time, at this point just ignoring me as they continued doing their job.

Just as I was about to stand and take the stack of papers to Daniel, a familiar blond showed up out of nowhere and took a seat beside me. Olivia pulled the stack of papers so she could reach them more comfortably and started reading and flipping through the pages. I could just stare as she did so. "Um...hi?" I spoke aloud after a long minute.

The girl looked up at me and smiled brightly, her straight, golden hair swaying as she did so. "Hello," she finally greeted me. "I don't think we've properly met." She held out her hand in front of me. "I'm Olivia, Miles' sister."

I slipped her a small smile, wanting to come off as the kind person I wanted to be and shook her hand. "I'm Delilah," I replied.

"Is it true that you lied about your name to all of your friends for a long time before you admitted the truth?" she asked, keeping her eyes on the papers that she was still examining.

I narrowed my eyes a little and furrowed my eyebrows, not really knowing what string she was jumping for. "Yeah. Gavin and I did it to protect ourselves." Olivia nodded once, which I didn't know how to interpret in this situation. I watched her flip page after page. "What are you doing?" I finally asked, deciding I had no clue as to what was happening in that moment.

"I'm just trying to inform myself on every little piece of this case," she said casually.

"Did you really try to track down Charles?"

She nodded. "Emphasis on tried."

"Why?"

The blonde finally glanced up at me. "Because my life is in danger just as much as yours is. If Charles told that gang about me and my parents, then we are dead meat."

I furrowed my eyebrows at her words. "I thought Miles kept the gang a secret from all of you?"

She shrugged. "I'm his little sister. Sooner or later, he tells me everything...And when he doesn't, I always find out on my own." I didn't really know what that meant, but I decided not to ask. Something about this girl was making me a little uncomfortable. I didn't see her as a dangerous threat, I think, but she definitely didn't seem like a girl that I could confide in with my deepest, darkest secrets. "How is Kason treating you?"

Once again, her words caught me off guard. "Perfectly," I answered honestly. "We haven't really had any problems."

"Except when you lied to him about your identity."

"He understood my choice and forgave me," I defended myself. "Every choice I've made, I believed it was the right one, even if it was just at the time." She didn't reply to that. "How are you and your boyfriend?" I asked her. If she could be nosey, then I could too.

"We are good," she said. "But no relationship is perfect." There was something about the tone in her voice that I really didn't like. She gathered the papers and neatly shaped the stack before standing. "I'll take these to Daniel for you. I wish you and Kason all the best." In just a blink of an eye, she quickly left. Why was she acting so weird?

#

"Is everyone's luggage in the van?" Daniel asked the group of us. All six of us nodded in return. "Great. Alright, the twins will be in the first car," he announced.

We were leaving for the relocation and Daniel had decided that we would be going two at a time, with at least half-hour time intervals so it wasn't too suspicious if Charles was keeping an eye out for a group move. I watched Marla give Gavin and bear hug. "I'll see you soon," he told her. When she leaned back, I saw tears in her eyes, making me hold back the urge to roll my eyes. They were acting like they weren't going to see each other for months when that definitely wasn't the case. Which I guess in their defense, no one would tell us how far away we were going. I guess I was just frustrated with our situation and wanted to get the show on the road. After watching the couple have a difficult goodbye, the twins were off and on their way to the new secret location.

The rest of us basically just sat in Daniel's office and waited for our turn to leave. We didn't have the time to do anything that could entertain us, so we just spent our time exchanging our imaginative ideas on the farm we were heading to. Half an hour later, it was Kason and Gavin's turn to leave. Then before too long, it was my and Aria's turn.

As Aria and I climbed into the back of a brown SUV and got comfortable, our driver introduced himself and handed us each a bottle of water and a few snacks. "How long of a drive is it?" Aria asked him once he started the car and pulled out of the station parking lot.

"Long enough to take a nap if you'd like," he said vaguely.

My best friend just glanced at me and rolled her eyes at his answer. I watched her situate herself into a more comfortable, half laying down position, not looking too excited for this road trip. I got the impression that she had expected to be able to pry more informative answers out of this guy. As Aria put on her headphones and turned on some music for her to listen to, the driver pressed a button and a screen rolled up between us and him so we couldn't really interact. I guess he was pretty determined to not give in and tell us anything.

I turned my head to just spend my time staring out the window, and that's when I noticed that the windows were tinted in a way that we couldn't see out of them. I felt like I was trapped in a tiny room. Daniel was definitely trying his best to make sure we couldn't figure out where we were going. I'll give him credit for being able to pull it off. A part of me wanted to stay awake the whole drive and try to keep track of how much time we spent on the road so I could calculate a general idea of how far we were from home, but that didn't work because exhaustion seemed to slowly overwhelm me and I ended up falling asleep. 

#

Sorry for the wait! Another chapter will be up Monday!! :)