Chapter Fifteen

I walked in the police station with my brother at my side, Daniel in front of me, and all of my friends behind me. The station was busy, and people were hustling around as if they were on a time crunch with too many things to do. Very few policemen spared us a glance. Daniel led us toward the back of the station in a room similar to the one I had been taken to when I had been arrested for murder.

Miles was in there waiting for us, along with a girl I didn't know. She had similar features to Miles and even had the same colored hair. Her green eyes were darker than his and her hair was straightened just past her shoulders. "You two look better than the last time I saw you," Miles said as we walked in, looking at me and Kason.

I just greeted him with a small smile and glanced at Kason. He was staring intently on the blonde. "Olivia," Kason greeted her with a slight nod.

She grinned a beautiful smile that I was jealous of. "It's good to see you, Kason."

I felt my heart sink into my chest. Olivia. As in, Miles' little sister, Kason's ex-girlfriend Olivia. The girl was beautiful, no wonder Kason was attracted to her at one point. The last I was told, she had a boyfriend, but that didn't stop the jealousy growing in my stomach and the defensive stance I found myself getting. He was the one who broke up with her after all; What if she was still attracted to him? Having a boyfriend now didn't necessarily mean that she was completely over what happened with Kason. I took a deep breath. I was overthinking again.

"Are there any updates on Charles?" Miles asked any of us. All six of us shook our heads. Daniel had disappeared. "Olivia tried looking for any signs of him, but had no luck."

I furrowed my eyebrows, not really knowing what he meant. Olivia quickly noticed my confusion. "I'm really good with computers, hacking, and coding," she quickly explained to me. "I don't want my family to die by the hands of some stupid gang and your psychotic father, so I like to take matters into my own hands...but I haven't had much luck so far."

It was weird hearing someone other than myself or my brother call my father psychotic. I mean, she wasn't wrong so it wasn't like I could be offended or anything. Crossing my arms self-consciously, I found myself glancing around me. Marla and Gavin were practically clinging onto each other like leeches, and Aria and Holden were standing close, hand-in-hand. A part of me didn't understand. I'd protect Kason with my life, but I knew leaning on him for comfort every second of every day wasn't good for me. I was going to deal with my own problems and protect everyone around me from them. I was strong on my own.

"Daniel is going to be sending you off into hiding again," Miles informed us.

That's all it took for Kason to settle his crutch and make a move to turn around. "Well, I should be off to tell my dad that we will be tagging along and that he can't stop us."

"No need," Miles quickly stopped him. "He is sending all six of you. You all decided to take a gap year anyway. And you could all be targets now in order for him to get to Gavin and Delilah."

My brother sighed beside me. "I wonder where we will end up this time."

"A farm basically in the middle of nowhere," Miles answered, making us all stare at him. "Daniel has been keeping me up to date on most things...You'll be staying there with the family who owns the property. Though the father is out on some trip, so for a little while, it will just be the son and daughter there," he explained a little further. "The girl is just a couple of years older than us and the son is in his late twenties if I'm not mistaken."

"So, what are we supposed to do?" Gavin asked him. "Just work on this farm until Charles is caught?"

"Okay, not happening," Aria quickly jumped in.

The Anderson boy shrugged. "They were kind enough to let you guys stay with them, not knowing how long you will be there, so it's up to them on how you make it up to them."

I breathed. How did Daniel find this random farm in the middle of nowhere to throw us out of his way until he could find Charles? Was the farm really far enough away to keep us safe? I needed more information. I didn't like the idea of being thrown into a foreign place, not known anything about anything. "Where is this farm at?" I questioned.

"Can't tell you that," Miles told me.

"Well, how did Daniel find out about this farm?"

"Can't tell you that either."

"Does Daniel even know this family well?"

"Let's just assume that I've told you everything you are allowed to know, okay? I can't answer any of your questions," he told me, looking slightly annoyed.

I felt a warm hand touch my back and looked up at Kason. He was looking down at me with a comforting look in his eye. I knew he was assuring me that everything was going to be okay, but I couldn't be so sure.