Chapter Forty-Nine

My foot weighed more on the gas pedal as I sped through the darkness of night. I rarely touched the brake and the headlights of the truck were dimmer than what was probably considered safe and legal. Not that I really cared that much, but I didn't know how Jay had dealt with not being able to see when driving in the dark. The dude could at least clean his headlights and see if it helped.

It had been a good while since the run-in at the gas station and my phone call with Gavin. Just as the sun had started disappearing behind farther points of the earth, Jay had started yawning nonstop. I hadn't said anything to him, but I guessed he was emotionally exhausted just as he had been physical. It's not every day you run from gunfire and get a good insight into a deadly game of hide and seek. So, I recommended letting me drive for a while. Sleeping wasn't really something that I felt comfortable doing yet anyway. I wanted to keep moving. Stopping and sleeping in a hotel like last time wasn't an option that I was considering tonight.

So, we decided to just start switching driving shifts to take turns sleeping. Another thing that I didn't mention to Jay was the fact that I didn't have my drivers license with me. I mean it wasn't like I could just stop a kidnapping midway and go grab my license in case I needed it. Hopefully, I didn't get pulled over because that would be an interesting excuse to try and explain to a random cop. The possibility didn't stop me from driving over the speed limit, though. Once we were a few more hours away from the crime scene—maybe then I would slow down. Yeah...maybe.

Before Jay fell asleep, he told me a little more about his parents, per my request. I was following his written directions on a map to their house anyway. He told me that like his sister, he hadn't visited his parents in a long time. A couple of years before he found out about his cancer, his father cheated on his mom. In order to try and save their marriage, his mother stayed with his dad after he promised to never do it again. Jayden was angry with his mom for taking his cheater of a father back into her life and left them. According to him, he still checks in with them every once a while though. I didn't know enough about his parents to have an opinion on the situation, but my guess was that it would be an interesting reunion when we randomly showed up at their house. I was almost completely sure that Jay didn't give them a head's up.

I finally pulled into a gas station after waiting until the last possible minute. The warning light was flashing, and I could see the indicator arrow bending past empty. If I kept driving, we were not likely to make it to the next place available to get gas. Jay remained asleep beside me in the passenger seat. His face was almost hanging out of the open window and a big drip of drool was making its way over his chin.

Sighing, I changed the gear into park and switched off the ignition, but just sat there in place for a solid two minutes. I just couldn't get myself to get out of the car. Just as I was about to reach for Jay's wallet to get money to fill up the truck, a car pulled into the space behind me catching my attention. In the rearview mirror, I watched a woman and a teenager climb out of their seats, laughing, and head inside the station. The woman had left the car running.

I didn't move. Just contemplated the situation. It was an opportunity. Looking in the glass walls of the building, I looked for the two, innocent people. They were completely out of sight. Before I could even register what I was doing, or even fight against my legs moving, I was out of the car and rushing to the silver car. Gently, I pulled on the driver's handle to make sure the alarm wasn't going to go off. It didn't.

I could go right now. Stealing a replacement vehicle had been kind of a joke in my mind before, but not anymore. This is what we needed. I just couldn't believe I was actually going to attempt to do it. This was another opportunity to leave Jay here to keep him safe. But I couldn't do that. I couldn't. I needed to let him fulfill his last wish. Plus, his company really wasn't all that bad.

Opening the door and peering in, I took a look around. There was a pillow in the passenger seat, a small stuffed rabbit in the middle of the dashboard, and a wallet in the coin holder. That seemed to be the only personal things in there. Quickly looking back at the building, I made sure the people were still out of sight. They were. Grabbing all of their things, I jogged back and threw them in the middle seat of the truck. Then I grabbed my extra clothes and Jay's things and brought them to the car.

Fortunately, there was a post-it note stack that I found in the glove box and a pen, so I could leave the people a note. "I'm sorry, but I need your car," I wrote. "You can have the truck. Your wallet and animal are safe inside. It drives fine but is dangerous to keep. Please just sell it for parts or something and use the money to get yourself another car. For your safety, PLEASE DON'T KEEP THE TRUCK. If you need help or more money for a car, call this friend of mine. He can help with anything." I listed out Daniel's number for them. "P.S.," I stared on another note. "I normally never do this; I just really need it. Your car might have just saved my life. Thank you." I ran the two notes over to the truck and placed them on the driver's window.

Then, as quickly as I could, I pulled a very sleepy Jay out of his seat and guided him to the backseat of the car. Very luckily for me, he was more asleep than he was awake. He was way too tired to comprehend anything I was doing and let me move him with no arguments other than an inaudible mumble. But he complied after I not so really explained my movements with "just shut up; you're fine."

With Jay laying down in the backseat, I climbed in the driver's and backed up the car. The woman and teenager were at the cashier's stand checking out. Jumping out of the car, I ran back to the truck and backed it up into the spot the car had originally be parked. That way I knew they would find the notes I left on the window and their things. Finally, before they were even out of the building with whatever they were carrying in multiple plastic bags, I was in their car zooming out of the gas station lot.

I didn't realize how fast my heart was beating in my chest until after the station was out of sight and I was speeding down the road. I had just stolen someone's car. I could get arrested for that right? But Daniel would get me out of it. Wouldn't he? Maybe I'd be safer in jail. What if that woman was like Charles and had a kidnapped girl in the trunk? I dispersed my crazy thoughts in a deep breath I exhaled. It didn't matter. I did what I had to do. Survival—that's what I was focusing on.

Glancing at the gas meter, I saw that the car had about a quarter of a tank. I'd just have to push my limits again and get gas farther away and when it was closer to empty. I adjusted the rearview mirror to where I could see out of the back window and Jay sleeping in the backseat. I mentally noted not to slam on my brakes. He would totally go flying into the floor. But I guess having a backseat we could actually lay down in was a good upgrade. And an actual window on the passenger's side.

All I could do was continue to take deep, steady breaths to calm my adrenaline as I sped down the road. Oh, what was Jay going to say when he woke up?