Chapter Fifty-One

I had slept for fourteen straight hours. But I guess I had truly needed it, so I guess it didn't really matter. It was around dinner time when I had woken up so we had stopped at a restaurant a few miles away from his parents' house. I had recommended waiting to eat with his parents, but Jay had refused, saying that they had probably already eaten. I tried arguing, but he only came up with more excuses.

Now, Jayden pulled into the driveway of a beautiful house, parking in the circle of the road around a lion statue, behind a Range Rover. The home itself was large and pearly white, the size of a smaller mansion. The perimeter of the living space and three-car garage was lined with beautifully white, thriving roses. "Your parents are loaded," I commented without thinking first.

The boy beside me dryly chuckled, turning off the ignition and pulling out the keys. "They have always funded my traveling," he explained. "They never asked too many questions about what I was doing and why. They trusted me even though they didn't know why I never came home."

I could just look at the house as he told me that. From the little I knew about them, his parents seemed like decent people. I knew they at least cared about him. "I hope you're thankful," I said softly. "Not just anyone's parents trust them like that."

Jayden smiled, almost sadly, and nodded, staring at the home in front of us. "I am."

With that, we climbed out of the stolen car and made our way up to the double front door, Jay leading the way. My friend took a deep breath then pressed the doorbell. I could hear the loud chime ring through the house from where I was standing. After almost a full minute of standing in empty silence, the door opened and revealed a middle-aged man.

He was around the same height as Jay and shared the same physical characteristic. They had the same skin tone, eyes, nose, and even the same high, straight posture. "Jayden," he spoke in what sounded like disbelief, his green eyes widening.

My friend scratched the back of his head awkwardly like he didn't know what to say. "Hi, Dad," he decided.

"Shanice!" Jay's father urgently called into the house. Exhaling suddenly as if he had been holding his breath that whole time, he grabbed Jayden a little roughly and threw his arms around him in a tight hug, slapping his hand on his upper back. How long exactly had it been since they last saw each other? Despite the slight surprise flashing through Jay's eyes, he hugged his father back just as tightly.

A woman emerged from deep within the house looking like an older version of Neveah. This couple really knew how to just "copy and paste" when it came to having their kids. She had curves that I could only dream of having and big, curly hair that made mine look flat as paper. "Jayden?" she asked, looking between me and her boy.

I just slipped her a small smile and nodded, looking back at Jay as he released his father. He glanced between his parents. "I see you two are still together," he commented. I furrowed my brows at his words, but nonetheless, Shanice rolled her eyes, scoffing, before pulling her son into a deep embrace, placing a big kiss on the side of his head.

"Of course, we are," she replied after a moment. Pulling away from him, she still kept a gentle grip on his arm and practically pulled him inside the house. "Oh, come in, come in."

The man gifted me a smile, as if just truly noticing me, and gestured his hand to the door. "After you." I could only grin back and listen, following Shanice and Jay in the door. Jayden kicked off his shoes immediately, so I followed suit, not wanting to come off as disrespectful in any way. Unlike their son, I stood on the welcome mat and gently pulled them off instead of flinging them. "So, what brings you home with a pretty girl?"

Taking a deep breath, I just crossed my arms and looked at Jay, not knowing how he wanted to approach the conversation with them. After my actions, his parents looked at him also. He shoved his hands in the front pockets of his joggers. "There's something I need to talk to you guys about."