Chapter Six

"I can officially say that I like this car more than the Jeep," Aria said, admiring the black interior of the car that was detailed in red.

We had just switched cars and passenger buddies a little while prior. The past few days, Holden and Kason had been driving, so we figured they needed a break. Since I was the only other one that Kason trusted with his beloved Charger, I was the one behind the wheel. Aria was beside me in the passenger's seat and Marla was in the back. The boys were all in the Jeep with Gavin driving, and as far as I knew, Chad and Brandon frequently switched from behind the wheel in their undercover cop car.

We were currently sitting in traffic because of roadwork on the route, so our trip was getting slightly delayed, which was quite unfortunate. We had tickets for a tour around a haunted hospital at noon, but at this rate, we weren't going to make it. It was nearly eleven thirty and we were still an hour away.

"Well it looks like you are going to get more time to enjoy your ride in the car because we aren't going to make the tour," I told her, glancing at the clock on the dash.

The strawberry-blonde girl shrugged, looking unbothered by the fact. "Eh, I wasn't looking forward to it anyway. Being haunted by a ghost is the last thing we need right now."

I chuckled, while Marla leaned up in her seat so she could converse with us better. "Yeah, but we can't get a refund for our tickets," she told us.

Sighing, I shrugged, pulling the car back to slow stop behind of her and Holden's Jeep. "Oh well. We can't exactly do anything about it."

"We can come back sometime in this next year, or find another haunted place to check out," Aria said. "We have a whole year to fill with stuff for us to do."

They were taking a gap year for me and Gavin. "I know it didn't really seem like it, but I appreciate you guys doing this for me and my brother," I told them.

The traffic began moving again just as Aria looked over at me and smiled softly. "We know you do; you're welcome."

"I'm actually so excited to take a year off school. It's going to be so much fun," Marla commented with an excited grin. I fought back a frown as I looked at her through the rear-view mirror, hoping she wasn't forgetting the dangerous reason she was taking it in the first place. "But my parents really aren't into it."

"Really?" Aria asked. "Why?"

"They think that pausing my education for a little while can cause me more complications in the future than there has to be. I don't think they are completely wrong, and I respect their input, but Holden and I are taking the break whether they like it or not, so I just wish they would get on board," she replied, looking a little glum.

"Do they know the situation?" I asked her as traffic began to dissipate and speed up.

"Not fully," Marla answered. "They don't know Charles escaped prison."

"Hardly anyone does," Aria commented.

Charles' escape was kept hush-hush because it would just cause chaos in the city if everyone knew a serial killer was on the loose. "Then tell them."

Marla furrowed her eyebrows at me. "Are you sure?"

I knew it would be a big step to tell them, but it looked like to me Marla and Holden needed it to happen. "Yes."

"I actually don't know if that would make matters better or worse," Aria honestly jumped in.

I shrugged and stared at the road in front of me, making sure to not lose sight of the Jeep. "There's no way of finding out unless you tell them...Just make sure they don't spread the news." Marla nodded in return but looked like she was in deep thought about the scenario.