Chapter Fifty-Eight

A longer chapter than usual:) Love you guys!

Right after Kason closed the front door behind him, my phone started ringing. We had realized this morning that we didn't have many necessities, so I sent my boyfriend to the grocery store to pick up a few things. At first, we were all going to go, but Kason was hesitant about Jay traveling a lot. He seemed to be coughing up blood a lot more frequently and was getting weaker by the day. Reluctantly, Jay agreed to stay back at the house, and right after, we decided that it would be best for me to stay with him in case something was to happen.

Answering my cellphone and placing it against my ear, I stayed in the living room and sat on the couch, knowing Jay was in the kitchen. "Hello?"

"Hey," Daniel greeted me. "Everything okay down there?"

"Yep. Jay and I are here. Kason just left to get some food."

"Okay, well, um, I have some news." His voice was hesitant and worrisome. I didn't have a doubt that it was bad news.

Sighing, I rubbed my hand down my face and closed my eyes, leaving my head to be held up by my hand. "Let's hear it then." What else could have happened?

"Sam is out of jail."

I groaned loudly, hearing a ruckus from the kitchen sounding right after. "Let me guess—Charles had something to do with it."

"Most likely."

Sighing, I sat up and leaned back against the cushions of the couch. For a long moment, I just stared at the ceiling. Why would Charles get Sam out of jail? Maybe he needed his help? Sam was probably one of the few people Charles trusted since he did go through with delivering me to my dad. Okay. So, he had Sam by his side again. That's all he needed right? He had help and could now do what he actually wanted. "He's probably coming here next," I predicted. "Unless he has some other allies that we don't know about that he wants help from too...But why does he think he needs help in the first place? Why risk failing to break Sam out of jail?"

"It's probably just more fun on his part," Daniel growled, clearly having enough of all this nonsense. "Charles, like you, wants to finish this. He wants this time to be the last time."

"That's the one thing we've agreed on in years then." A series of coughing sounded from the kitchen. Jay sounded like he was getting strangled. "I've got to get off here. Don't call Kason yet. I don't need him rushing home for something he can't do anything about," I told Daniel. "I'll tell him as soon as he gets back." I stood from the couch, hung up the phone, and rushed to the kitchen, where Jay was hunched over the sink.

I couldn't help but gasp and stop at the sight. There was a puddle of blood on the floor, dripping over the sink counter. "Jay..." It was a lot of blood. More than last time. My heart pounded as I quickly grabbed a ripped blanket from the couch and rushed to him. We didn't have any cloths or paper towels or anything. It was all things that Kason was going to get from the store. Once I was by his side, I saw the blood also running down his chin and neck, and soaking the front of his grey long-sleeved T-shirt.

Swallowing down my raising emotions, I dampened a corner of the blanket and started wiping off his face like a child. His coughing was lessening and soon he was just gasping for air and breathing slowly and deeply. "I'm okay, Del," he tried to convince me with a strained breath, but I didn't believe him for a second.

After a few minutes, his coughing stopped completely. That is when I put in a bigger effort to cleaning him up. I wiped off his face and down his neck and chest the best I could. Helping him remove his shirt, I was able to get off as much of the sticky blood as I could with just a blanket. His expression was pained. I could see it in his eyes that he was fighting just to stay on his feet. "Here." I grabbed his underarms and helped him move over a couple of feet before he sat down on the cold tile and leaned back against the old, wooden cabinets. Satisfied knowing that he wouldn't fall over when I turned my back to him, I took the already dirty blanket and wiped down the cabinets, and soaked up the puddle of blood on the floor. My "cleaning" was more of a "smearing it all over the place" but the effort made me feel better and seeing the bulk of it being soaked up in the blanket eased my mind. The rest would have to be taken care of after Kason came home with proper cleaning supplies.