Chapter Fourteen

Following my friends, I stepped off the steps from the private plane and onto the cement runway. Daniel had made us all fly back home, so we could be safer sooner. He was having someone he knows drive Holden's Jeep home, and unfortunately, the Charger was totaled, so there was nothing left of it to bring back. Kason obviously wasn't thrilled about his car, but he actually wasn't very upset about it. We were both just happy to be alive.

As I took a few steps away from the plane and looked around, I could hear my pain medication jiggling around in my bag. There was a black SUV parked to our right and another one identical to it on our left. Daniel was there, walking towards us from our left. All six of us stopped and stared as the man joined us. "I need Gavin and Delilah with me. Everyone else is to go with Officer Dayton. He will take you to our temporary safe house. The three of us will be right behind you." All of us just nodded, not bothering to ask any questions.

I could feel Kason's presence behind me before I felt the warmth of his lips against my cheek. "I'll see you soon," he told me. I just nodded and slipped him a small smile before he turned and started making his way to the SUV his father had pointed out with the help of his crutch.

We all parted ways, per Daniel's request. My brother and I followed Kason's father to the black vehicle and climb in the backseat, while he got into the front passenger's seat. "Okay, so our next plan of action is giving you these," Daniel spoke up as soon as the car jolted in motion.

He held up two bracelets in his hand, making me raise my eyebrows and glance at my brother who was holding a similar expression. "Bracelets," I stated, almost in confirmation as if I was seeing something completely different than to what he was holding.

Daniel nodded before handing us each one. "They have tracking devices built inside them." I looked down at the bracelet, unimpressed. It looked like a simple black cord, about four millimeters thick, that was just stretchy enough to get over the hand. I put it on, nonetheless. "This way, I can track your location in case something was to happen," he continued. "There's an app we will download that will show us where you are at all times. You aren't allowed to take them off."

I raised an eyebrow at the man. "What about when I take a shower?"

"It's waterproof," he answered immediately.

"What if Charles gets his way in the system and uses the same device to track us down?"

"They can be turned off at any given moment by the push of a button."
I nodded and leaned back in the seat, crossing my arms. "You're really taking this whole security thing up a notch, aren't you?" I asked him. I mean, I appreciated it, really, but I just wasn't used to having this many lengths taken to protect our lives.

Daniel nodded and turned straighter in his seat. "Yes...I have no other choice. This has already gone way too far. I need all of you safe; and if something happens, we can find you with these."

I looked at my brother who was staring at Daniel with an expression that I couldn't quite read. He looked sad and in disbelief that it had to come this far. "We appreciate it," he told Daniel, glancing at me.

I nodded, agreeing wholeheartedly. "We really do."

He gifted us a soft smile before turning around and returning his attention back to us just a few moments later, this time holding up two pictures. A picture of each man who crashed into us. "Recognize them?"

I nodded within a second. "It's the man that murdered the cashier and a man that I ran into while in Walmart one day...They both also crashed into my and Kason."

Daniel nodded in satisfaction. "Great. I think we will be able to use them to narrow down a location on Charles," he said, turning back to face ahead of him. "They have to be working together."

Gavin and I looked at each other. "Has Miles talked to you about that?" my brother asked him.

He nodded. "I have someone watching over his family just in case...You never know."

I breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe we could actually protect everyone this time. Prayers circled my head, wishing that I was right, just this once.