Chapter Thirteen

#

Holden, Miles, and I were sitting in my hospital room, basically just letting time pass. We didn't really have anything to do but wait until Kason and I started healing so we could get discharged and leave. Miles has arrived just a few minutes before and had already stopped by Kason's room. Kason was apparently doing just about as well as I was, which was pretty good. I was still in pain, but I knew I would be for a while.

"I wonder how Charles just disappeared from sight," Holden said, leaning back in an uncomfortable-looking chair. He was staring into empty space. "It's like he had somewhere to go...and now he is sending other people to do his dirty work.

"What did the two guys look like?" Miles asked me, referring to the guys who caused the car accident. As I gave a detailed description of the two men, Miles' eyes filled with recognition. "If I'm right on who you are talking about, they were a part of the gang I was involved with."

I thought back on the day that Miles told me about the time he was threatened by a gang. He had explained that Charles had made a deal with him in order to protect his family's identity from the gang. As long as Miles did everything Charles asked then Charles would make sure his family was safe. "Are you saying that Charles is now teamed up with the gang?" I asked him.

Miles shrugged. "I'm just assuming, but it sounds that way. After Charles lost my help, he surely needed assistance from someone else. And he needed somewhere to go. What if Charles offered them something in exchange for their help and shelter?"

I took a deep breath and exhaled. "This whole situation just keeps getting worse...So we not only have Charles after us, but a whole gang?"

Miles worriedly pushed his hands through his blond hair. "Charles knows information about me and my family that the gang doesn't." He looked up at me with panic in his eyes. "If Charles told the gang everything about me to get them to help him kill Delilah and Gavin, who's to say that he didn't spill the beans on my family's identity?"

Holden faced him. "Miles, there's a good chance that he didn't tell the gang anything about you. You aren't the target. I mean, you should be careful, but it isn't you that Charles is after this time."

"But together, there are a lot of people that Charles and the gang want dead, so if the opportunity came, they'd be dumb to miss it," Miles argued.

"I understand that," I told him. "We will all get through this. Together. You should go call your family and talk to them. It'll help calm you down."

Miles nodded and didn't hesitate to stand up, pull his cell phone out of his pocket and rush out of the room. Holden and I watched him leave. "Do you think Charles will do anything to get back at Miles?" he asked me once we were alone.

I just looked back at him. "I wouldn't doubt it."

***

Definitely the shortest chapter I've ever posted, but I think I'll be able to post more often if I keep just posting scenes. I'm going to be getting back in the swing of things and get more content out for you guys!
I'm sorry for all the delays. College is hard to balance haha.

Thanks for still supporting me:) <3

~Emily