Chapter Twenty-Seven

Twigs cracked under my feet as the wind blew straight into me. I ran faster, barely aware of the sweat dripping down my face and neck. This had become my favorite part of my morning routine. The past few days, Marla had been out here with me every morning, both of us getting a good run in all the while exploring more the property. But today I was alone. I hadn't seen her at all yet this morning, I just assumed that she slept in and was in Gavin's room. And I was not about to try to intrude in on his mancave of a room. Only God knows what I would find.

Slowing down to catch my breath, I stopped at an easy accessible boulder and pulled out my phone as I took a seat. First, I called Daniel to see if he had any updates for me.

"No. Nothing else has happened since we last talked," he informed me. I could hear rustling of papers and multiple voices in the background.

"Nothing at all?"

"Sorry Delilah."

The next person on my call list was Olivia. "Hey, girl," she answered. "So, I have some news..." she started immediately. " I followed the trail with the letter from Charles and tracked it to an apartment complex a few cities over, but after further searching, they have since moved."

"Do you know anything about where they moved?"

"No, but I'm working on it...I don't know if I'll be able to get anything else on them from here though...They are definitely professionals at hiding their tracks."

I sighed and pushed my flyaway hairs behind my ears. "It's okay. Thank you so much for trying. You are amazing."

I heard a light squeal from over the line. "I know I am," she bubbled. "But at least Daniel has started bringing people in for questioning right? We are bound to learn more about where Charles is from that."

I furrowed my sweaty eyebrows. "What?"

"The interrogations going on. Surely Daniel will pry information out of someone," she said more slowly.

"Olivia, what are you talking about? What interrogations?"

For a long moment that felt like forever she was silent. "Wait...Daniel didn't tell you?"

I fake chuckled and stood up from the boulder I was sitting on. "Apparently not." Daniel kept information from me? Why would he do that? We had an agreement that he would keep me updated on everything.

"Oh. Well Daniel has been pulling people that were involved with the gang that Charles was mixed in with, in the station for questioning," she told me.

"Are they people that are part of the gang or just by association?"

"I don't know," she said. "I didn't ask. I don't think he would have told me anyway...I wonder why he didn't tell you. I'm sure he planned on it."

I shook my head even though she couldn't see. "I was on the phone with him right before I called you. He told me that there were no updates. None at all."

"...What do you think he's up to?" she asked after a long pause.

I shrugged and groaned in aggravation. "I don't know but this is infuriating me."

"Girl, I get it...I'll keep you updated on everything. I'll try to stay in the loop as much as possible."

"Thank you so much...I guess just call me whenever you need to."

"Wait, have you told anyone about the letter yet?" she said quickly before I could hang up.

"Uh, no...but I think I want to," I admitted. It had been on the forefront of my mind the last week.

"Delilah, I think you should. I have a bad feeling about the near future...I just think that keeping secrets between you and everyone else is just going to add to bigger problems."

I exhaled, knowing she was right. I had to tell them. "Yeah, okay. I will."

"Goodluck."

#

After taking a shower and freshening up, I stared at the bookcase in my bedroom. It was time. Everyone had to know. Taking a deep breath, I removed the book and opened to the page I put the letter. I stared at all the words on the secured pages. There was no letter there. I looked all over the floor to make sure it hadn't just fallen out when I picked it up. Then I flipped through all the pages and shook the book, waiting for a loose page to peak out. My heart raced. The letter was gone. Where did the letter go? I had put it back in this book. The exact place I had been keeping it all this time.

A few knocks sounded on my closed bedroom door. "Uh, now isn't a good time!" I called, trying to hide the panic in my voice.

"Babe, it's me."

The slightest hint of relieve eased through me when I realized it was only Kason. I opened the door and found my boyfriend standing there with a bundle of flowers in his hand. They were pink with layers upon layers of pedals. My heart melted right then and there. The lost letter was forgotten immediately.

"They are Miss Deliliah flowers," Kason said. "I found them growing while on my run."

I take the flowers from him and grinned as their sweet scent filled my nose. "Thank you," I told him, feeling relaxed.

"You look really cute in that sweater," he said, looking at me and grinning brightly.

I pushed myself up on the tips of my toes and kissed him. He kissed me back immediately with passion and his arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me up against him. I pulled away with an amused giggle and placed the flowers against his chest. "Kason, not now, we need to go find a vase for these."

"Forget the flowers," he said before kissing me again.

I laughed, pulling away once again. "No! I love them!" I kissed him once more before grabbing his hand and pulling him down the hallway after me. This man sure did know how to make my day better. Even if he didn't realize.