Chapter Forty-Three

I posted Chapter 42 today too so make sure it is read first

I jerked awake by a banging on the door. The hotel room is dark and chilly. I was wrapped in a few blankets on my bed and Jay was sitting up in the other bed across the room. He leaned over and turned on the nightstand lamp. "Who could that be?" he asked.

Before I could even give a guess, the door burst open and appeared a man. Charles. Within a second, a gun was pointed at my face. "You little brat," he spat bitterly. "You really thought you could get away from me that easily?" I was frozen. What was I supposed to do? One move and he could shoot me dead.

"Dad."

After one huff from his mouth, his aim diverted to the boy across the room. "Thanks for nothing," he said before pulling the trigger. A red circle formed on Jay's head and dripped down over his eyes and down his neck. His body leaned over and spread his blood all over the pillows.

I didn't even have time to react to the death of my new friend before the gun was turned on me. "Dad, I'll do whatever you want, just don't shoot me, too."

"But all I want from you is your death," he replied, his eyes cold and heartless." Then, he pulled the trigger.

I jerked awake for the second time.

My breathing was heavy, and my heart pounded faster than it had in a long time. Breathe. It was just a dream. I looked around me. Gavin was sitting on the bed beside me. "Gavin?"

The sound of my voice awoke him from an empty expression and he immediately wrapped his arms around me. "It's over, Delilah...It's all over."

I felt the warmth from his body, and it made me relax. That was until reality hit me. "Wait, what?" I asked him.

"It's over. It's all over," his familiar voice repeated.

"Since when?" I pulled my body away from him and climbed out of my bed. I was back at the beach house we had been staying in during the summer.

"Since you killed him?" Gavin stood up in front of me, looking confused. His hazel eyes scanned me up and down in worry and reached up to press the back of his hand against my cheeks and forehead. "Do you not remember what happened? Delilah, are you feeling okay?"

I pushed my brother away from me. "Gavin, what the hell are you talking about? I didn't kill Charles."

"Sis, yes you did," he assured me, a little more calmly this time. "Maybe you should lie back down. I'll call Kason and get him over here."

"No," I said sternly, taking a step further away from him. "Charles is still after us, Gavin!"

He started stepping closer to me. "Delilah, I really think you need to lay down."

"I'm not laying back down until you help me figure out what the hell is happening."

Gavin backed me up and grabbed my forearms, trying to pull me back to the bed. "Delilah lay down."

I fought against him and screamed. "No!"

A gunshot sounded and Gavin stared at me with lifeless eyes. My heart dropped in my stomach and I stood frozen as my brother's body collapsed on the ground in front of me, a gunshot wound in the side of his head. Blood splattered everywhere and maybe even a little brain matter on the floor beside him.

Charles stared at me from the doorway. "I believe your brother told you to lay back down."

"Charles."

Just like my brother had, he grabbed my wrists and pulled me toward the bed. "Lay down, Delilah. You aren't feeling well."

"Let go. Get away from me."

"Why don't you ever listen?" His eyes were just as cold as always and his grip just as strong as I remembered.

I screamed louder than ever before, tears suddenly continuously streaming down my cheeks. "Let me go! Let me go!" I couldn't stop. Scream after scream left my lips. His strength pushed me down on the bed and held me down.

"You little brat. This is what happens when girls like you never listen." With one hand he forced my hands above my head and with his other, he pressed the barrel of his gun right between my eyes. I couldn't stop crying. It's like all the panic I've ever been given from Charles was all coming back and hitting me at once. "How does it feel to be killed by your own father?"

"You are not my father," I spat. Another gunshot sounded.

I woke up screaming. Comforting arms were already being wrapped around me. All I could do was curl up into a ball and hold on to his arms for dear life as he rocked me back and forth whispering calming words in my ears. I was crying harder than I had in a long time. I had never had a dream like that where I kept dreaming that I was waking up but I really wasn't. It was terrifying. I couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't.

***

Hey yall, I know this is a really short chapter. I planned on writing more to this chapter but something personal has come up and I am not in the mindset to continue tonight. I'll try to post at least another short chapter tomorrow but won't promise anything since it is Christmas Eve. Hope you guys aren't too upset with me and understand. Thanks:)