Half a dozen...Horses? Chapter 18...

Apologis in advance this chapter is just pure poo...

~~~~~

Chapter 18...

Jim sat silently out on the porch after Dani had headed off to bed, the letter burning a hole in his hands as he flipped it over and over. He was reluctant to find out the contents now that Dani had put so much emphasis on it but knew that whatever was within, was sure to change everything he had come to know. Wanting to hold onto the peace that Dani had brought within him to remain unchanged he put the letter back in his pocket, only to remove it a few seconds later, knowing that this change needed to happen in order to keep Dani happy.

"You know not knowing will eat you alive right?" Mary sighed from behind him. There weren't many people who could sneak up on him but his mother was one of them but he was too wrapped up in his emotions to be startled by her sudden appearance for a change.

"Yea I know." He relied returning her sigh. "But I just know that whatever is in here will change everything, I mean as it is she's going to want to move to her ranch, I mean who wouldn't. How am I supposed to protect her when she's clean across the city."

"You could go with her?" Mary suggested quietly

"What happens if she doesn't want me to, if she wanted a clean break from everything that happened to her that would cut me out completely?"

"So you have actually considered leaving here to go with her?" Jim could tell the idea upset his mother but she maintained a calm expression for his sake.

"Well yes, but that's all it is, an idea. At the end of the day it's down to Dani." He replied with a shrug.

"You really love her don't you?"

"More than anything Mum. It's deeper than just love. I can't even explain it."

"Well I know that she feels the same for you Jim. You only have to watch how the two of you gravitate around each other to see that there is something special there." She gave him a smile and seemed to look straight into his soul as she watched him. "Read the letter Jim, and let thing unfold naturally, don't try to control the progression as that will only make things tense between the two of you. Dani is a girl coming into her womanhood right now and she needs to be allowed to do that."

"Yea she said something similar earlier." He threw in with a twitch at the corner of his mouth.

"You realise that you can let her grow and still be there for her right?"

"Yea, but it makes me nervous." Mary laughed then pulling him into a hug and ruffling his hair.

"All women make men nervous, that's just life and you're going to be fine. This will also always be your home no matter what you two decide."

"Thanks Mum!" He said returning the hug, completely dwarfing her in the process.

Again he was left alone as his mother disappeared into the house. Without waiting another second he ripped the letter from its envelope and read through it, carefully.

The beginning of the letter was filled with so much love and regret Jim felt the urge to go and comfort Dani regardless of how she would respond to it. It went on to tell her stories of her early life, her first words her first steps, the first horse she had ever ridden, interesting little facts about who she had been and the people who had been important to her, there was even mention of James who she had adored, clearly all written by her Mothers hand. The second page was written in a mans handwriting, almost trying to give her life lessons in writing, there was encouragement and words of guidance that only a father could give to a child. Meaning written into each and every phrase with complete and utter devotion coming through with every syllable. It was in itself something to cherish for a lifetime and expressed the undying love of parents who would never get a chance to show it in person.

The third page was completely different. It went into details about trust funds that they had set up for her and tips and family secrets regarding rearing and handling horses. Jim felt as if he was trespassing into the minds of some of the most brilliant people in the horse training world. Some of the suggestions made his eyes widen in appreciation for their craft.

But it was the last page that caused the air to rush out of him and irritate boiled to the surface. Her parents had explained some of the difficulties that surfaced with training horses and a few people that Dani should watch out for. Jim could clearly see how Dani's mind had begun to process the implication of the words. And with a sigh Jim realised what it was that Dani wanted him to agree too. He didn't need to think it over, his mind processed problems and solution much quick them most people. He saw patterns immerge when others saw straight line and it was clear Dani was missing the bigger picture here. With a small chuckle he leapt to his feet and made his way up to her room

"Dani, I..." The words caught in his throat as the vacant room threw nothing but silence back at him.

"She's not in there Jim." Sam said from behind him. "But she's right, you are extremely predictable."

"Where is she?" His irritation creeping back to the surface.

"She's in my room." Sam replied feigning complete boredom as he block the exit out of the room

"Get out of my way Sam!" Jim rolled his eyes at his brother who had begun picking at invisible lint on his shirt.

"Well, I can't do that I'm afraid, I was told you promised to think it over and speak to her about it tomorrow." Sam replied calmly, with a hint of a smirk edging along his features.

"What are you now her personal representation?" Jim growled as he started getting annoyed with the game. Sam merely shrugged as his smirk rose fully to the surface.

"I'm whatever she want me to be

"oh for god sake I know what she's going to suggest and it's a ridiculous suggestion, now get out of my way." Jim roared.

"No!" Was the only response he got. Jim lost it, grabbing his brother by the collar he threw him up against the wall, effectively pinning him up, he was ready to kill him when soft words broke through his rage.

"A promise is a promise Jim." Dani said placing her hand on his shoulder. "And he's your brother not your enemy." Jim snarled at his brother before giving him hard shove and dropping him to the floor.

"I know what you're thinking Dani?" He snapped. "But you're wrong."

"I'll speak to you in the morning Jim, when you've calmed down." She replied turning back towards Sam's room. Jim let out the breath he was sucking in and calmed himself down.

"Dani wait." He said striding after her. "I'm calm enough to speak about this now and let you explain your thought process. Don't make me wait until morning. I won't get a wink of sleep and I have a lot to do tomorrow."

"Are you going to tell me 'No'?" She challenged him then.

"Most definitely!"

"Then I don't think you really understood the letter." His words making her spine snap taunt as her hands wound into tight fists.

"No Dani, I don't think you're looking at the bigger picture here, or the consequences for that matter." Jim said as he slowly led her back to her room before she realised what he was doing. It wasn't until she was a step away from her bed that she realised and then she rounded on him with narrowed eyes and a deep frown on her forehead.

"Jim you promised that you would spend the night thinking about it." She stated shrugging his hand off her arm.

"Yea but I don't need to I already know what you want to do and I already know what's going to happen if you do it, you forget Dani I do these kind of plays all the time I'm special forces, I can tell you every possible outcome of just about any scenario in seconds. It's what I do, what I'm good at." He smiled proudly back at her but unfortunately that only seemed to enrage her even more.

"You know this is the only thing I asked you to do and you can't even let me make this decision on my own, get the answer on my own. I could kick you right now."

"Yeah, but you would only end up hurting yourself!" He grinned back at her with the arrogance of a idiot male. Before he could stop her she kicked him, hard, in the shin.

~~~~

Help please????