Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 13...

Sorry this is so short, i ended up having a really busy weekend

Anyway Enjoy

~~~~~

Chapter 13…

The next few days were filled with laughter and quickly turned into weeks and before Dani knew it two months had passed.  Her relationship with Jim had grown from strength to strength with each passing day.  When they weren’t working they were together, constantly connected even if it was simply knees pressed together at the dinner table or a full blown make out session, their bodies craved the connection regardless of propriety.  Needless to say that the sexual attraction surrounding them was intense, a calm brush of the fingers in passing would ignite a tingling heat that lingered on the skin for hours, further embraces set the nerves alight, spreading like wild fire through every inch of skin, kisses, well kiss just assaulted all the senses provoking intense eruptions of pleasure cursing through their bodies, but even as the tension built and heighten between them they were both fully aware that Dani was no where near ready to go ‘there’, which didn’t help the situation at all.

Mary had caught them, a few days after the water tank incident, in one of their heavy make out sessions in Dani’s room and had immediately forbid them to share a bed any longer, stating quite firmly how inappropriate it was for unwed couples to share a bed and that she didn’t want any hanky panky in her house, which had them in fits of giggles.  It didn’t stop them though, late at night when everyone was asleep one or the other would sneak into the others room. ‘Swearing it would be the last time, of course it never was and when Mary caught them, she lock them both in their rooms each night, and for a few nights they  caught up on some much needed sleep , albeit restless sleep.  That was of course until Dani had one of her nightmare and Jim had blown through both doors practically ripping the architrave from the wall to get to her, leaving splintered and broken doors in his wake.  After that Mary had thrown her hands in the air and with a completely disapproving look had given up on them.

The sheriff had come by two days after Devon’s ‘visit’ to gather information and to drop of Dani’s things.  Although there wasn’t much, being reunited with her favourite skinny jeans had her skipping around the room like an idiot, much to Jim amusement.  When they had told the Sheriff who Dani really was, Jim prediction on his reaction had been about spot on.  The Sheriff’s eyes had popped and he had stood there dumbstruck, mouth hanging open, for over five minutes before sinking to the sofa in the living room, al body functionality deserting him as he mulled over this new discovery.   After asking every question he could come up with he sprung to his feet and raced out of the house to get stuck into case with a renewed vigour.  He promised to get all the information regarding the case sent to Dani as soon as possible, but warned that with the case being over sixteen years old it would take some time to retrieve them from archives.

When Dani’s birthday rolled on, Jim swept her away for the day to a secluded clearing, well hidden from the main house but still within the ranch lands. He had her blindfolded as they travelled through the forest to prevent any traumatising memories and had revealed the clearing with a smug grin settled on his face as e led her to the pre-prepared picnic he had set up for her.  He had then set about serving her a vast array of mouth watering temptations.  The simplicity of the day was prefect for Dani with a touch of romance corrupting her senses.  When they got back in the early evening, Mary had made Dani the biggest birthday cake Dani had ever seen complete with fluffy chocolate butter icing.  They all sent the rest of the evening in the living room playing board games, as lame as it seemed it was prefect for Dani, as for the first time in her life she felt as if she was part of a family.  One with deep rooted loyalties and full of love.  When it was time for presents Dani ended up blushing and fussing about the un-necessity of it but everyone just gave her a look that shut her up.  Mary and George kitted her out with everything she needed for riding, from her feet to her head along with a personalised crop.  Sam gave her a leather hand bag and informed her that the real gift was inside.  Peeking inside she had burst out laughing and then pulled out a miniature cattle prod that had been wedged deep within the folds of it.  Sam then went on to explain that it was for the times when he couldn’t be around to protect her from Jim.  Of course, jokingly Dani had tested it on Jim’s leg, unaware that Sam had already put the batteries in it and set it up ready to go, needless to say Dani spent the rest of the evening apologising through her laughter and then threatening to use it again when he attempted to get her back.  But aside from being embarrassed by his extremely high pitched screech when he got tazored Jim only teasingly threatened to murder her all night till it was time to hit the sack.  He had of course thrown a glass of ice cold water in her face the next morning to wake her up but hey he got her back.

But of all her presents her favourite was the one se received from Jim.  He had given her a set of sterling silver tags, hung from a delicate silver chain. One had her full name and date of birth engraved proudly on it and on the other ‘Love you always’ engraved just above his full name.  He also gave her a little box and told her that it was for her locket, for the day when she was ready to make the trade.  As she got ready for bed that night she got Jim to help her put on her new chain and after he left she had taken the small locket and packed it away into the little box to lay at rest once and for all.

It was now the middle of November, the weather had just began to drop significantly.  Dani spent half her time working the horses and the other half helping Mary in her greenhouse or on her books.  But as much as she loved the people that surrounded her and as much as her work kept her busy, she was beginning to go stir crazy been forced to remain on the ranch.  She longed to go dancing and let her hair down if only for one night.  The Sheriff had said it was okay for her to contact Carly as long as she didn’t give any indication of her location, but speaking to Carly just make her miss her freedom even more.  Even with over a hundred thousand aches of land to ride over been forbidden to leave make it a prison. Jim was incredible and would bring small treats back with him whenever he went into town for anything but it wasn’t the same.  More then anything it was the sense of danger that still hung over her head everyday that was getting her down.  Speaking to Carly just made it more difficult to get over.  Carly had suggested at one time that she come over and visit but of course Dani had to refuse with put her in a mood for the rest of the day and whenever she got in a mood she would find herself sitting in the little secluded clearing Jim had bought her too.  Been the independent person that she was the idea of depending completely on others was taking up every ounce of patience Dani had in her. 

So far the Sheriff hadn’t had any luck catching Devon but assured her that he was still on the false trail they had set up and that they would have him in a matter of days.  Dani had her doubts and was deep in thought when Jim found her sitting in the clearing that evening.

“Dani, you ok?”  Jim asked sitting down behind her pulling her towards him.

“Yeah.”  She smiled back at him with the best smile she could muster.

“You know you don’t have to hide your feelings from me, I can tell when you’re covering, you know.”  He chuckled at her.  “Your worried about Devon aren’t you?”

With a sigh Dani leaned back against his strong chest and dropped her head on his shoulder.

“It just all seems to easy, like it’s all work out too perfectly, I’m waiting for the rug to be pulled out from underneath my feet.”

“Mmmm”

“Hey that’s not fair, you don’t get to make me tell you things and then just say ‘mmm’ in return, I want to know what your thinking too and don’t tell me the ‘safe’ version, Jim.  Tell me the truth!”

“Well, yes I was thinking the same thing, about it all been too easy, but I have no doubt in my mind that you have nothing to worry about.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Well, you have me Dani girl, and I’m never going to let him anywhere near you.”

“Yea and who’s going to protect you.”

Without even blinking Jim replied. “My Dad!”  Dani burst out laughing all worries dissipating into nothingness.

“What, what’s so funny.”

“Nothing Daddy’s boy.  Let get back home before he puts you over his knee for been out to late.”

“Ooooh one of these days…”

“Hehe, your gonna what?”  She laughed jumping on is back as they made their way back to the house.

“I don’t know but I’ll figure it out soon enough.”  He laughed back.

~~~~~

Right so comments and votes please