Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 28...

Right so hre it is the next bit... I'm not happy with it but figured i'd get it out to you and see what you thought.  So let  me know if i'm doing this all wrong.

Anyway enjoy xxx

~~~~~

Chapter 28...

In the space of a heartbeat, Jim had spun around, pulled Dani behind him securely and had retrieve his side arm, which was now aimed directly at the intruder.  The sun chose that moment to dip below the tree line adding its own eerie touch to an already highly tensed and volatile situation, its rays leered through the leaves throwing shadows across the scene, vaguely highlighting each of the players laid out before it.

“It’s Him!” Dani said through a swallow as her body tensed to run.

“Now, now Cowboy, why don’t you put that away before you hurt someone?”  Dani felt Jim tense beneath her fingers, followed swiftly by a shudder of rage that swept through him.

“Jim, don’t!”  Dani whispered into his back gripping his shirt, he squeezed her hand acknowledging her, followed shortly by the release of a pent up breathe to calm himself.

“So you’re Devon!”

“Ah I see my whoring girlfriend has told you about me.”  Devon mocked, taking a step towards them, but paused mild step at the look of uncontained rage on Jim’s face, choosing wisely, to remain where he was.  “I have no quarrel with you, Cowboy.  Let her go and we’ll be on our way.”

“You may have no quarrel with me, but I have a major one with you,” Jim said, with a curt growl, at which Devon’s brows raised with indifference.

“Well this just became more…entertaining.” Devon frowned.  “Dani, do you really want this pathetic Cowboy to die today, because he will, of course.”  For a moment Devon eyed the gun pointing at him and then with a thin smile pressed across his lips he took another step towards him. “Go on, I dare you. But be warned though, that they …” Devon said cocking his head to the right. “…won’t be too impressed.”

Jim looked to his left watching the three men closing in on their position.  Still holding her hand behind him, he folded her hand into a pointing position and manoeuvring it to point at the gap between the two buildings that he had come through earlier. Dani nodded against his back. “On three.” Jim muttered under his breath, again Dani nodded behind him. “They don’t look all that loyal to you.” Jim said, biting back the fury that was continually building in him. Devon glanced over to the men who were prowling forward, with pursed lips. 

“You think?”

“Three…”  At Jim’s command Dani’s legs sprung into action at the same time Jim pulled her out from behind him and pushed her along ahead of him.  The slight distraction that Devon’s looking away provided, gave them enough time to duck out of sight behind a building.  “Keep going, back to the house.”  Jim urged, pushing her forward.

As they rounded the corner of another building Dani skidded to a dead stop in front of Jim, who took one look over her shoulder and flung himself in front of her just as one of Devon’s henchman fired his weapon. No sound came from the weapon but Dani could clearly hear the bullet grate against bone as it pierced through Jim’s skin.  Dani screamed as the force of the impact threw Jim back against her, knocking them both off their feet.