Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 19.2

Continuation of Chapter 19....

Early Friday morning Dani found herself hidden in the back seat of Sam's truck, heading toward the city, the plan was for Sam to go into town and pick up a few bits and pieces that were needed on the ranch just like he did every Friday and then meet Jim in an underground car park, where Dani would change vehicles and continue on to Heaven's Anchor with Jim in a blacked out SUV which turned out to be one of the most common cars in Lexington.

Dani was hidden beneath a heavy blanket for the duration of the journey with Sam.  Who had stuck his Bluetooth in and kept up a steady stream of conversation as they drove.  He kept all his appointments as short as possible, but by the time they finally reached the car park, Dani was sweating up a storm and just about every muscle in her body was protesting from remaining still for too long.

Jim quietly helped her out of Sam's truck and into the back of the SUV closing the door behind her and running around to the driver's seat. The cool air blowing through the air-con unit was absolute bliss as Dani stretched out along the back seat.

"Thank God for air con!"  Dani exclaimed once Jim was on the road heading out of the city.  There was no need for the blanket now as all the windows were darkly tinted but Dani was focused to remain out of silhouette just in case.

"Yeah sorry about that, I didn't think about how hot it was going to be for you under that blanket."  Jim grimaced back at her.  "I did get you a smoothie though."

"You are awesome, where is it?"  Dani asked rolling onto her side and then sticking her head in between the two front seats.  Jim handed her the cup and let her fall back into her lying position.  Within two minute Dani have finished the entire 500ml drink and goose flesh ran rampant across her skin.

"Ah brain freeze!"  Dani groaned.

"Geez you finish that already?" Jim laughed catching her expression in the rear view mirror.

"Shut up, I was thirsty.  Next time you can hide under a blanket for two hours in this raging heat."  Dani sulked as she slipped her hand behind her head and tried to get comfortable.

"Sorry Babe, but it was a necessary precaution."

"I'm really starting to dislike precautions, you know that?" Dani pouted as Jim burst out laughing at her throwing her a sympathetic look as he turned off the interstate. "How long until we get there?"

"Another twenty minutes or so."  Came the reply.

"Did you let Miss Delaney know that we were coming?"  Dani asked suddenly a few minutes later.

"Uh no, why would I do that?  Given the secrecy of this trip, why would I want to let anyone know."  Jim frowned.

"But what happens if she isn't there, I mean I really don't want to have to go through all that again."  Dam frowned back at him.  "And what happens if she doesn't want me there?  What happens if she doesn't remember me and chases us away?  What happens if she blames me for my parents?"

"Dani...!"

"Oh my god, I can't do this, turn around Jim!"  Dani cried, worst case scenarios where running triumphant through her brain as they drove.  They had just turned onto a dirt road and without warning Jim pulled the car over to the side of the road and turned to look at her. 

"Dani you need to calm down, come here."  He soothed pulling her through the two front seats and parking her in the passenger chair still holding her hands.  "I will tell you one thing you perhaps haven't thought about, but do you honestly think anyone in their right mind would refuse to purchase an entire ranch that was practically handed to them if they didn't care about the owner. This Miss Delaney must care about you greatly to want to ensure that the ranch remained in your name.  Based on that point alone I think this women has your best interests at heart and that right there is the only reason we are even going there."