Half a Dozen...Horses? Chapter 19...

Right i know this is short but i wanted to get something out for everyone. 

Enjoy xxx

~~~~~~

Chapter 19…

“God damn it Jim!”  Dani hissed, bouncing around on her uninjured leg.

“What?  You kicked me!”  He laughed helping her to the bed as she rubbed her foot.  “I did warn you.”

“You know what, you’re an arrogant smirking pig.” She frowned back at him.

“Ouch, now that hurt.”  He chuckled at her defiant glare as he feigned hurt collapsing down next to her.

“You’re not funny.”  Dani sulked as he pulled her into a hug.

“No, but I am keeping score and by my count you have injured or tried to injury me, three times now.  Retaliation will be bliss, my sweet.”

“Ok fine, you win.”  Dani sighed falling back onto the bed.

“You going to let me give you my answer now?” Jim asked kissing her cheek and trailing down her neck.

“But you don’t even know what I want to do yet?”  Dani replied pushing off him.

“You want to go out to the ranches and see what they look like and meet the people there.” He came back with, an air of nonchalance hanging around his answer.

“How did you..?”

“Special Forces babe!”  He grinned down at her.

“Ok fine but her me out…”  She held up her hand to him when he went to interrupt. “…Devon doesn’t know me as Dani Kennedi, he doesn’t know that I own those places and there is no reason for him to go looking there. So I don’t see why, you with all your Special Forces abilities, can’t sneak me over there to have a look for myself.”

“Oh low blow Dani girl, play to my ego.”  Jim laughed sitting up.  He pulled her up next to him and looked into her eyes. “I have no problem getting you to the ranch, what I do have a problem with, is you contacting John Cress!”

“Damn, how do you know that?”  Dani groaned, pulling her hands away from his and standing up in front of him.

“I just know how to read people, and you...” He smiled and stood up in front of her. “…you are desperate to know as much as possible about your past life as possible.”

“Ok fine, but in the letter my Dad gave me his number, said he was a ‘trusted friend’. The letter suggested that there was something brewing and that we shouldn’t trust anyone else but him.” She tried to explain.

“Yes I got that, and that is also the reason I don’t want you contacting Mr Cress.”

“But…”  But Jim interrupted her again.

“You need to understand sweetie, I know what your parent’s letter said but he was also the prime suspect in their murder, who I may add, disappeared off the face off the earth.”  Jim explained, rubbing little circles on her palms with his thumb as he spoke.

“But it’s just a call.” 

“I know Dani, but what if he’s just waiting to see if you’re still alive, what if he’s not the person that your parents thought he was?”  He added giving her a knowing look.

“I know but I have feeling about this Jim, please, I need to know.”  Dani pleaded.  Jim leaned back staring down at her for a full minute just thinking about the situation.  Different scenarios running through his mind as he thought.

“You know that what you’re asking is extremely risky.” 

“I know Babe, but it’s necessary.”

“What I don’t understand is why you want to bring more onto yourself, why can’t you wait until after they catch Devon.  Give yourself some breathing room.”  He sighed at the resolve in her eyes. 

There was a tense moment between them as the silence stretched out between them.  Jim weighting out the pros and cons of every situation and Dani standing her ground on a real issue for the first time in her life, for better or worse.  And then with eyes locked Jim sighed in defeat.

“Fine, but we do this my way no if’s or buts about it.”  He shook his head at the smile that spread across Dani’s face.  “I’m not kidding Dani!”

“I know I know, you just want to protect me, blah blah, I don’t care how we do it, I’ll do whatever you like.  And I know you’ll keep me safe.”  Dani bounced into his arms and kissed him passionately on the lips. 

“Okay okay!” Jim laughed a little while later.  “You have successfully wrapped me around your little finger.” She giggled into his chest as he wrapped her up in his arms.  “When did you want to go down to the ranch and for that matter, which ranch would you like to go down to first?”

“I want to go to Heaven’s anchor.  Meet Miss Delaney?” She giggled again.

“Ok, I’ll speak to my dad and Sam and we’ll get it set up for Friday.”  He smiled back at her.

“Really?” Dani replied springing to her knees on the bed next to him.

“Really!”

“Yay!”  And again she fell back into his arms kissing him all over the face in happiness.

~~~~~

Well let me know what you think and don't forget to vote