Deadly Double Love 22

“Investigate?” Scott said with a laugh.

“Yes!” I said, pretending to be hurt that he laughed at my idea.

“Sorry, it just sounds funny when you say it all serious like you did.”

“So you’ll help me investigate then?”

“Of course.”

“Thanks,” I told him.

“You know I’d do anything for you,” he replied.

“I’d do anything for you too,” I said.

“So how do we go about investigating?”

“Let’s go to Addie’s room and look around for anything that could help prove that it was Addie.”

“Lead the way.”

Even though no one but us was home, I pushed open Addie’s door very slowly as to not make any noise. My heart was beating faster than normal with the fear that at any moment Addie would come bursting through the front door and catch me. Scott sensed my nervousness and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder as we stepped into the room.

“So what exactly are we looking for?” Scott asked.

“Diary,” I told him as I scanned the almost overly clean room. My eyes finally settled on what I’d been looking for. “Bingo,” I muttered.

“What?” Scott said.

“I know where her diary is,” I announced as I walked over to her desk.

Scott stepped in front of me and opened up each of the four drawers that the desk contained.

“There’s nothing here,” he informed me.

“That’s because you’re looking in the wrong place,” I said.

I leaned over and ran my hand along the underside of the bottom drawer until I felt a book. I pulled it off of the desk and looked at it. It was a simple black journal with the word “diary” handwritten across the front in hot pink marker. There was a piece of double sided tape on the back cover, which had held it to the desk.

“How did you know it would be there?” Scott asked incredulously.

“It’s where I used to keep my diary,” I replied. “I bet it’s where most girls put their diaries. I mean, it’s not somewhere parents or boys would think to look.”

“Well let’s see what’s in it, then,” he said.

“Alright,” I said, all of a sudden feeling nervous again.

I opened Addie’s diary and found the page that she had written on the day she had come to live with us. I scanned it, but there didn’t seem to be anything about my mom in it. I turned the page and looked over the next entry and the next until I finally came across something.

“I think I found something,” I whispered.

“What is it?” Scott asked.

“It says ‘I’ve been living here for more than a week now and it’s okay, but it will never be the same as my old home. But at least I am getting good grades, making lots of friends, and I already have a boyfriend. His name is Rory and he is so sweet! He said he would do anything for me. At dinner the other night, I was sitting with Dad and his other wife and trying to tell him about something cool that had happened at school. But just as I was getting to the good part, he stopped me because his other wife was moping. He said he needed to be excused to be with her. It was so annoying! Dad’s other wife is ruining my relationship with him. Sometimes I wish that she would just disappear!’”

“Oh my gosh,” Scott breathed.

“Addie did it,” I said. “She really did it.”