Chapter 19: Before the Scare

Happy Fake-o-ween. And happy Friday. And glee-watching. Whee.
--------------------------------------------

As Sam took a nap on the board room table and Tyler texted in the corner, Alex banged his head against the wall and John paced the carpet floor. Sebastian sat at the table, next to Sam, and read over documents that looked too boring for any of the others to ask what they were doing.

"Ok, it's been two hours," John finally said, turning to the others. Sam didn't even open one eye, Sebastian kept working, and Tyler's eyes remained glued to his phone's screen, but Alex stopped with the head banging and looked up at him. "I'm so proud of Julie," John continued, "but does she really have to go two hours into our studio time to 'dabble'?"

"Why'd you put air quotes around that last word?" Alex asked curiously. 

"Because Julie's version of dabbling is writing a bound-to-be number one single," John explained. He sighed and flopped himself down on a chair beside Sam. "Why's he so tired?"

"Sex," Tyler said pervertedly. This Sebastian looked up for and Alex turned to give him a weird look, so he elaborated, "With his super hot fiance. I went by to get a few more of my things this weekend. And she opened the door wearing nothing but a bath robe. They were totally getting it on."

Sam didn't put his head up, but the muffled sound that was his voice told them, "She was doing a photoshoot for Starstruck magazine and it was done at home. I wasn't even there..."

"Tyler's version made you look better, dude," Alex chuckled. The door opened and in walked Santana, a big scowl on her face.

"I came in for my Monday studio sessions, like always," she began, glaring at Sebastian, "and I see that shrimp in there recording a song. Then she finishes and says it's for her album."

"She's done?" John said, snapping his fingers at all his guys and urging them to get on.

"Did you seriously sign her?" Santana questioned Sebastian. "What are you going to do about my album?"

"Calm down," Sebastian sighed. "I'm sure you're ready to go all Lima Heights on anyone who will dare listen, but there's a plan here. Julie has agreed to leave you with enough songs for an album. I've pre-approved them and they're all great. All you have to do is record them. And from now on, anything she writes will be for herself unless she thinks it'll fit you better. It's win-win."

Santana pursed her lips, considering this change of plans, and said, "No me gusta," before marching out of the room.

A smile on his face, Sebastian watched her go and turned to the other guys. "Alright, Alex," he said. "Let's go record that 'amazing' song you wrote."

"Ok, what are your air quotes for?" Alex responded.

"I haven't actually heard it yet so I don't know your ability as a songwriter," Sebastian told him, standing up and joining them towards the studio. 

When they arrived, Julie was just leaving the booth, completely finished for the day. "How was your day on the throne, princess?" Sebastian asked her. 

"Amazing," she beamed. "It's like ever since I decided that my music would be my own, I've just got this whole new approach to writing and composing it all. I actually had a happy song going there for a while." She squealed merrily at this and then danced away as the rest of them watched her.

"Wow..." Tyler muttered, seeing a completely different side of this girl he hardly knew. 

"Ok," Sebastian rubbed his hands together. "Get in the recording booth. I want to see what you've come up with. Oh, and before I forget, I do believe Finn wants you all to perform at McKinley's silly little Halloween carnival."