Chapter 59: Speak Now

["Speak Now" by Taylor Swift.]

Unsure of how she'd even gotten there, Julie walked into the chapel, thankful that it was too early to have many people, and snuck around the back, towards the backroom. 

Julie: I am not the kind of girl. Who should be rudely barging in on a white veil occasion. But you are not the kind of boy. Who should be marrying the wrong girl.

She stopped, however, when she heard the familiar voices of Finn, Puck and Quinn chatting. Of course, they basically had front row seats, being some of Sam's oldest and best friends. She continued to walk and jumped up when she heard Mandy's voice, relieved when she realized that it was coming from behind closed doors.

Julie: I sneak in and see your friends. And her snotty little family all dressed in pastel. And she is yelling at a bridesmaid. Somewhere back inside a room. Wearing a gown shaped like a pastry.

She leaned against a wall outside of the room from where she heard Sam's voice. He was talking to his dad, it seemed, but she could also hear John's voice. Everyone was in support of his big moment, apparently, so what was she doing there screwing things up?

Julie: This is surely not what you thought it would be. I lose myself in a daydream. Where I stand and say.

Closing her eyes, Julie imagined herself interrupting the wedding. Mandy's psychotic parents would be ranting, Sam would appear shocked, Mandy might cry. But would he listen or kick her out? Would he reject her again?

Julie: Don't say "Yes", run away now. I'll meet you when you're out of the church at the back door. Don't wait or say a single vow. You need to hear me out. And they said, "Speak now"

When she heard Sam's door opening, she dashed away and back to the nave, where she snuck in between a crowd of people, undetected. She had been invited by Sam, so it made no sense for her to sneak in, but she just didn't feel welcomed after Mandy's visit the previous night. After all, all Julie could think of were ways of stopping the wedding from happening.

Julie: Fond gestures are exchanged. And the organ starts to play a song that sounds like a death march. And I am hiding in the curtains. It seems that I was uninvited by your lovely bride-to-be.

Julie nearly froze when Sam stood at the altar, straightening himself up for the entrance of his fiancee. She sighed, seeing how hopeful he was when he looked at her. Still, it wasn't the same way he looked at Julie and everyone knew that. 

Julie: She floats down the aisle like a pageant queen. But I know you wish it was me. You wish it was me. Don't you?

Julie stood in her hiding place, her lips barely moving as she shook her head at him. 

Julie: Don't say "Yes", run away now. I'll meet you when you're out of the church at the back door. Don't wait or say a single vow. You need to hear me out. And they said, "Speak now". Don't say "Yes", run away now, I'll meet you when you're out of the church at the back door. Don't wait or say a single vow. Your time is running out. And they said, "Speak now".

Time was running out. They were exchanging their vows soon and if she didn't stop them, he'd end up married to the wrong girl.

Julie: Oh, la, la. Oh, oh. Say a single vow... I hear the preacher say, "Speak now or forever hold your peace." There's the silence, there's my last chance. I stand up with shaky hands, all eyes on me. Horrified looks from everyone in the room. But I'm only looking at you.

While Sam looked her straight in the eye, Julie walked down the aisle, aware that everyone was staring, and spoke what she'd been trying to say all along.