Chapter 55: Fear Factor

"Ok, I'm full," Kitty mumbled, pushing her plate away from herself as she sat for breakfast with Bree and Julie.

"Same..." Bree groaned. "I should probably head out soon anyway. We all should. Curse the day we became adults and had to start doing adult things like getting jobs and making our own money."

"Do you have to be at the studio today?" Kitty asked Julie.

Julie shook her head. "I don't think so," she told them. "I wrote a bunch of songs last week so I can just be in and out now. Just two more and I'm done." She had neglected to tell them that she had gotten through the last week using a foreign form of medication, knowing well that her friends would disapprove of her new method.

"Guys, I just remembered something," Kitty mumbled. "I need to find myself a date to the wedding."

Bree looked over at Julie, who also hadn't mentioned her recent trepidation about Sam's nuptials. "You could just go alone," Bree suggested, though she knew that wouldn't satisfy Kitty.

"A town councilwoman alone at the biggest event in Lima history?" she gasped. "No way! I need someone who is handsome and decorated. I need... No nothing." She decided to keep the idea she had just had to herself, just in case it didn't work out. The other girls were already keeping other things to themselves so they didn't question her.

Julie's phone rang just as Bree was cleaning up. "Hello?" she said. "Oh hi... Yeah? About what? Ok... Ok... Sure, I guess. See you then."

"Who was that?" Kitty asked when her friend ended the call and put her phone down.

"Sam," Julie answered sheepishly. "He wants to meet with me about something."

"Ooh..." Bree responded, shaking her head at her as she stood up.

"Duty calls," Julie told them nervously. "I'll see you girls later!"

***

Sam sat with his guitar and a breakfast for two in his loft when a knock on the door made him excitedly get up. He got up and found Julie there, her eyes looking past him.

"You wanted to meet?" she asked.

"Yes," he nodded, stepping aside. "Please, come inside."

Julie hesitated. This was a weird time to be around him. She was not herself and he was about to get married. Still, he looked pretty desperate and she couldn't resist, so she carefully stepped inside he and Mandy's home. That's when she saw the breakfast.

"Are you hungry?" Sam asked when he saw her staring at the food.

"I actually just ate..." she muttered. "But thanks..."

"Oh," he responded. They stood in awkward silence before he finally remembered to tell her what he wanted. He looked at his guitar and said, "I need your help."

"With..?" Julie asked, following his gaze. She stared at the guitar and then looked back up at him, her mouth slightly ajar.

He smiled hopefully and answered, "I need to work on my wedding vows."

"Sam..." Julie muttered, rubbing her nose very quickly. "I..."

"Please!" he interjected. "I'm desperate here. I can't come up with the right words and when I think of something it's just a melody. You've always been able to come up with words to my melodies so I thought maybe I'd play something for you and you could pull the words out."

Julie frowned. The last thing she wanted right now was to spend her time with him, hearing how he felt about Mandy. Still she said,"Ok... If I wrote this..."