Chapter 77: The San Diego Music Festival

Four more chapters to go! That includes this one!
-------------------------------------------------

"Ok, so I'm thinking we should auction more than just items," Kitty said as she stood at the front of the meeting hall in the town's government building. 

She wasn't quite used to the small working areas yet, too accustomed to the big offices she had in DC and the state's capitol. However, now that she was in the town's council, she took any opportunity to lead the rest and move up that she could take.

"That way even some of the families our auction is meant to benefit can participate," she finished.

One particularly eager volunteer raised her hand and asked, "Can you give an example?"

Kitty smiled and nodded, "Sure. You can donate... Ooh, you can offer up free car washing. Or other services. Legal services, please."

A few people laughed and Kitty flipped her hair back, feeling the love of everyone there. She was about to add more when she saw Jake at the door. A smile grew across her face as she excused herself and skipped out to the hallway. 

"Hi," she greeted him quickly. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see if you wanted to go to lunch," he offered. "I thought I'd come by when your meeting ended but I see it's still going."

"Oh, we just got a late start," she apologized. "But we'll be done in no time. You want to wait out here?"

"Sure," he nodded. "I'll see you in a bit then." She nodded and he reached down to kiss her but she was already on the move. Awkwardly realizing their gestures would be changing now, she tried to kiss him but he had already backed away.

"Sorry," she said nervously. "I, uh... I'm just going to go inside now."

"That's what she said," Jake laughed.

"No," she told him. "She couldn't possibly had said that." She turned around and walked back into the room, closing the door behind her.

"Who was that?" one woman asked teasingly. "He looks familiar."

"That's my good friend and one of Lima's finest," Kitty explained. "Officer Puckerman."

"Is he the one who was part of the case with the casino?" another lady asked. "My cousin's husband is in the force and told me he totally got cheated out of the credit for that."

"That's him," Kitty forced a smile. "Anyway, back to brainstorming."

"Wow, that must be awful," the first woman continued. "And to think, it must be tough enough to be a black cop in the police. To be treated like that on top of everything else he has to deal with?"

"Actually, Jake's incredibly happy with his career," Kitty interrupted all of them. "Now can we please get back to this auction? We're trying to help the less fortunate here."

"You know what I'd like to help?" a woman who had been otherwise quiet spoke up. "Myself to some of that piece of hot ass!"

Kitty's jaw dropped as the other women agreed. She sighed heavily, wondering whether she'd ever regain their focus on the task at hand.

***

"How'd it go?" Jake asked as they headed out to lunch. 

Kitty made a face. "Not so great," she admitted. "First it was all, 'Yeah, let's help the poor' and then it was like, 'Oh my gosh, it must be so hard to be a black cop.' And I was pretty much puking with my eyes rolled all the way to the back of my head."