Chapter 26: Ah-Mazing

When Leila stepped into Bree's office the day before Sectionals, she wasn't sure what to expect. All she knew was that Bree rarely called one model in unless it was serious.

"Am I in trouble?" was the first thing she asked.

"Not at all," Bree shook her head. "At least, I hope not. Have a seat."

"What's this about?" Leila asked as she sat down in front of her.

Bree wasn't sure how to begin, so she just said, "I guess what I want to say is... Are you at all interested in Jake? I think it's pretty clear he's interested in you but if you ask me he's been put dead-center of the friendzone."

"Umm..." Leila began, shrugging. "Jake is great. I like him very much."

"But?" Bree asked when she didn't continue.

Leila looked around nervously and then said, "He's not... Like us... I would love to date him. I made that clear a long time ago. But the more I heard about him and the more I thought about it, I realized it wouldn't work. We're from two different worlds."

"Americans were British first," Bree pointed out.

"Not that," Leila shook her head. "Just that... He's this simple cop and... That's great. That's amazing, actually. But you know what it's like for us, Bree. You know how tough it can get out there. You had that boyfriend and..."

"And he didn't want the crazy life of fame," Bree nodded, remembering her final break-up with Joe. "Leila, if this is the way you feel, then I suggest you tell him. But I suggest you change your mind. Jake is one of the best guys I know."

Leila nodded, standing up and heading for the door. When she was out of the office, Bree looked down at the sketches she was working on and let out a deep breath, knowing deep down that Leila was on the right side of the tracks.

***

"Two more days until 'Since U Been Gone' goes for sale on iTunes!" Santana exclaimed. "I just saw a rough cut of the music video and it's got all these amazing shots from my concert."

"That sounds great!" Brittany told her as they got their nails done together, with Quinn sitting besides them in total relaxation.

"Yeah," Quinn nodded. "I'm so sorry we weren't there."

"It's ok," Santana shrugged, though it had taken her a while to think so. "I'm just glad that I finally get to have something that is just mine. No one to ruin it. I hope."

"You don't seem very sure," Quinn told her, turning to her with a bit of concerned. She knew Santana to be two things: angry and dramatic. Seeing her be worried about something was rare.

"Vasquez is just giving me a hard time," Santana shrugged. "Nothing I can't handle. Not that I'd expect either of you to understand."

"Why not?" Brittany asked, her eyes closed as one of the spa workers began to give her a facial mask.

Santana sighed and admitted, "You two have always been the best. Q, you were the best cheerleader when you were in the squad. And you were the smartest out of, like, everyone. Britt, you were the best dancer. Still are. And I always had to just say I was the hottest, but that's not something I can take with me forever. So I always took pride in my voice. Would've been easier if I didn't have Berry, Jones, Hummel, and now, Vasquez trying to prove they're better than me."

"No one is better than you," Brittany assured her with a warm smile, reaching over to give her a hand a tiny squeeze.

Not used to the physical contact with her former lover, Santana shivered for a second and then said, "People seem to prefer someone over me all the time. It's just a little... tiring..."