38. The parents.

Flashback

Flashback

When Cormac Graham married Mia Linetti, it was an arranged marriage with love at first sight.

He was impatiently waiting at the restaurant, lazily stirring his spoon in his coffee cup.

He sat up straighter as a willowy, captivating woman was greeted near the entrance.

I can't be that lucky, can I?

"Mia?" Cormac asks as the striking woman is being led toward him.

She nods, smiling gently at him as she approaches, and he quickly stands up, his eyes on her welcoming ones. The maître d' has made to help her into the chair, but Cormac waves him away as he approaches Mia. The man nods and winks at Cormac's bewitched expression.

"Hi," he breathes out.

"Hello, Cormac, nice to meet you."

"Absolute pleasure to meet you, Mia," he says, taking her hand to kiss it.

He helps her into her chair before taking a seat across from her.

"I don't know what I was expecting," Cormac begins with a laugh, "But you are way out of my league."

Cormac has a nice, easy way about him with a penchant for making terrible, lighthearted jokes. And Mia is one that's easy to laugh.

Mia's sandy blonde hair is tied back with a ribbon, and her deep blue eyes always look like she's just been told an enthralling story. She is undoubtedly cultured, but talks with a soft spoken voice and kind words.

An hour after they met, Mia's sides hurt from laughing so hard at his many jokes, and Cormac can't wipe the grin off his face.

As they converse over dinner, they find they are completely compatible and feel very excited about their once forced future.

Cormac is tall; he stands over 6'3" with strawberry blonde hair neatly combed back. His brawny physique would be intimidating to Mia if she didn't realize he told the worst jokes in the world, or if she hadn't noticed how he nervously played with his cutlery at dinner when he gazed at her.

He walks her outside to her car. They are reluctant to leave but eager to kiss one another goodnight.

"I guess we should say goodnight," Cormac says, taking her hand.

If you don't kiss her, you are the biggest bloody eejit.

She moves into him for a hug, and he happily holds on to her.

"Mmm, you're warm," Mia says quietly.

"Goodnight, my Mia." He murmurs, lifting her face gently as he moves his mouth to hers.

He softly brushes his lips to hers, and her face breaks into a breathtaking smile as she leans back.

"Goodnight, Mac," she says lightly, kissing him once before turning to the car. "I can't wait to see you again this weekend."