3. The identification. - Olivia

"As good as it's going to get," I tell my reflection, tucking hair behind my ear to make myself presentable

"As good as it's going to get," I tell my reflection, tucking hair behind my ear to make myself presentable. Late last night, I texted my boss while sitting with Joanie to let him know what happened to Jake and that I had no idea when I would return. Or if I even care to.

Closing the drawer, I notice the groove of a scratch on the top of the dresser. I run my finger over the dent and sigh, recalling what chaotic events caused that scratch six months ago. Snatching my phone and Christopher's card, I punch in the numbers and press send. Once, twice—on the third, a voice strong and confident answers. "Chris Rollins."

"Hi," I say, then clear my throat, "This is Olivia."

"Liv," he breathes out, "Hi."

"Would you please come and get me?"

"Yeah," Chris agrees, and I hear some shuffling noises on his end before he repeats himself. "Yeah."

"What time is convenient for you?"

"Umm, you know, whenever," he mumbles, and I let him know he's welcome whenever he wants me.

Less than an hour later, there's a hard rapping on my door, and Snuggles is going wild as I open the door to find Christopher on my doorstep.

"Sorry, I did a policeman's knock," he apologizes with a cocky grin.

"It's okay." My voice quiet and tiny. I used to be a different girl around Christopher. That girl exists somewhere inside me. I think.

"You doing okay?" He asks, leading me to his cruiser.

There's no need to sugarcoat this, especially if I'm speaking to Chris because we've seen each other at the lowest of low, the depths of hell. He opens the passenger door for me, and I frown while meeting his compassionate eyes, confessing, "No, I'm awful."

His face softens, "I'll bet, sweetheart."

He drives us toward the hospital, clearing his throat a few moments into the commute, peering over at me, "I'm here for anything you need through this, Livvie."

"Chris?"

He glances at me once before turning left onto a busy street, "Yeah?"

"Can we talk about something else?"

He lets out a breath, putting his eyes back on the road. "Yeah, what do you do? I don't remember if Will told me."

"Can we talk about you instead?" I counter, shaking my head.

He laughs and shows me that lopsided, beautiful smile that makes my stomach flip. I am aware of the situation I am in right now, where I'm essentially lusting after him, but it's Christopher.

Chris, who introduced me to coffee. Chris, who let me drive his car a dozen times for driving lessons.

Chris, who took pity on me in high school and danced with me every single time we were at a dance together. And the last one, where we...